What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

As good as it gets? Tip-up canopy width

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

For those who have passed this way before me.....

I am just about ready to disassemble the canopy frame so I can countersink/dimple and primer the offending parts. I have had the canopy glass "installed" several times with the gas springs in position. I had the frame rails curved to confirm with the fuselage longerons. With the canopy in place (everything cleco'd) the width of the canopy frame increases about 1/16" per side. The widest section is about where the gas springs attach to the canopy sill. I have worked with the canopy frame side rails to try change the curve so that it is curved less then required hoping it would force the final assembly back to the desired cockpit width. However I have been unsuccessful to date. I have been successful at increasing the curve of the canopy frame at the longeron gas spring attach so that the frame with at this attach point is the same as the cockpit width at this location.

You can push on the canopy frame inboard and get it to the proper width, but the Plexiglas seems to force the frame back out.

I am sure I am not alone with this problem. Is this as good as it gets?

If you have any suggestions, please post.

Paul

Pretty Good

Hi Paul,

That is pretty good. Mine is perfect in the front but also bows out about a 1/16". Be satisfied with that and move on!!!

I think part of the problem is some builders are not trimming enough of the canopy off in the front 12-15". As you go up the canopy, it gets narrower. If trimmed properly, the narrower part will nest into the canopy frame better and not tend to force the frame out. Also, notches cut in the canopy where the canopy passes through those tabs on the skin, helps lower the canopy.

It is really important to get the front fit up, on the glareshield, before trimming the back and along the sides. Once the canopy is laying down on the glareshield properly, then trim to the siderails and roll bar. You should not have to "squeeze" the canopy into the frame.

Roberta

Back