What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arthur Chard RV-6 AC-2

Rockman

I'm New Here
I see the thread about Art's 6's is locked. They may lock this one too, but I wanted to say I have AC-2. It was built in 1980 by Art, has RV-4 wings, I believe. It was a concept plane for the RV-6.

If anyone has any more info about the background concerning my plane, please respond or message me.

S/N AC-2

PICT2542.jpg

RightFront_zps54d382ab.jpg

LeftRearOpen_zps12cab6e2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, Gasman...nice looking bird, Rockman!
Looks like Art used a fair number of Mustang II parts along the way.

I agree, Gasman...nice looking bird, Rockman!
Looks like Art used a fair number of Mustang II parts along the way.

I think they are T-18 parts. The T-18 canopy was used on a lot of airplanes at that time as there were not a lot of side by side plans and kit built metal airplanes out there then.

Does it have a repair done to the wing ribs where the aileron bellcrank is?(outboard aileron push rod to aileron?) both wings? Do you know if Mr Chard built a s/n 1?

There is an AC-1.

Rockman, considering what happened to AC-3, I would call Vans and chat with them. Reportedly, someone from Vans went to the AC-3 crash site..possibly spending beaucoup time there.

Since I have no idea of similarities between AC-2 and AC-3 nor the AC-3 failure mode, it just seems prudent to take suitable precautions.

Welcome to VAF!

Rick, welcome to VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

Also, welcome to the dark side:eek: of aircraft construction

Yes it is T-18 thorp canopy. I don't know about the fuselage or tail feathers. I believe the wings are rv-4. Art built an ac-1 but it was different. This plane was better and so resulted in van kitting a side-by-side, although that came several years later.

I talked to the guy who went to the crash site. It was his friend, very sad. Pictures of that plane look different than mine. It was not built by AC. I know mine had the rear spar reinforced back in 97 with parts supplied by AC to bring it up to RV 6 standards G-force wise.

I need to talk to VANs people I suppose. Also, I wonder, does anyone here know if Chard is still around or how to contact him?

BTW, my plane flies like a dream.

Yes it is T-18 thorp canopy. I don't know about the fuselage or tail feathers. I believe the wings are rv-4. Art built an ac-1 but it was different. This plane was better and so resulted in van kitting a side-by-side, although that came several years later.

I talked to the guy who went to the crash site. It was his friend, very sad. Pictures of that plane look different than mine. It was not built by AC. I know mine had the rear spar reinforced back in 97 with parts supplied by AC to bring it up to RV 6 standards G-force wise.

I need to talk to VANs people I suppose. Also, I wonder, does anyone here know if Chard is still around or how to contact him?

Rockman

Check you Priate messages at the top right corner of the page.

Art for Art's sake...

RM,

I too built a modified RV. Mine incorporates a modified RV4 wing mated to an RV6 fuselage and RV4 empennage. My differences though are a pure RV6 center section and RV4 wings mated identically to the RV6 plans. (The RV4/6 wings are identical minus one rib bay and fuel tank dimensions) The RV4 HS uses an RV6 spar and the VS uses the RV6 mounts.

Mine flies wonderfully, superior to most every RV I have flown thus far as you said yours does. I perform aerobatics every flight within Van's posted aerobatic gross weight and G limitations. I limit myself to solo and at a very light fuel weight. I would give Van's a call but don't worry too much. Remember back in 98' the Vans demonstrator RV8 shed a wing inflight and they concluded they pulled in excess of the design structural load specified. An excessive pull on the stick at VNE can easily over stress any airplane. Flown correctly within the design limits, even corporate aircraft can do precision aerobatics. Just ask Bob Hoover. :)

I have flown my friend BW's (both of them) RV4 built by Art. It's construction along with all of Van's demonstrators are par excellence.I have PM'd you (upper right corner) Art's phone number. He should be able to fill in the blanks. The NTSB will fill in the rest...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Do not count on the NTSB to "fill in the rest."

I agree that they don't always do an in depth investigation, but just because of that, don't assume that is always the case.

The little I know of the investigation makes me believe it is being looked at very thoroughly.

I spoke with Mr. Chard last night. He said the RV-4 and RV-6 wing spars are pretty much the same, except the 4 wings are a bit longer. According to the data, these wings should take more G's than the human body (9-10, I think).

I think the only known past failures of RV wings were the early RV-3, which were different.

Back