What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Artex ME-406 Wiring Question

hammer408

I'm in the process of installing my Artex ME-406 ELT in my 9A. Artex recommends using Shielded 5-wire for connecting the 406 to the remote. I have called Aircraft Spruce, Terminal Town, Wicks,Steinair, you name it and no one carries shielded 5-wire. Does anyone have a source that may carry 5 wire??

Thanks

Henry Trzeciakowski
N918HB
Pittsburgh, Pa.

I got it at a local electronics shop, but while shielded, neither the wire bundle or the individual wires had the teflon insulation.

erich weaver

I have the same switch

hammer408 said:
I'm in the process of installing my Artex ME-406 ELT in my 9A. Artex recommends using Shielded 5-wire for connecting the 406 to the remote. I have called Aircraft Spruce, Terminal Town, Wicks, Steinair, you name it and no one carries shielded 5-wire. Does anyone have a source that may carry 5 wire??

Thanks Henry Trzeciakowski N918HB Pittsburgh, Pa.
My Artex 110-4 which has the same remote switch and 5 wires, just says use 22 awg wire, nothing about shielded 5-wire harness.

I checked around and found some 5 conductor stuff, but most suppliers want to sell 100' rolls or longer. They use multiconductor cables in computer networks, intercoms and security appliaications so you can check out local suppliers as well as local electronic shops.

Here is one supplier: (scroll down to MULTI-CONDUCTOR CABLE, SHIELDED PVC Insulation, part #JS-6662 , 5 Conductor Shielded 22 awg, 0.46 cents / ft. )

http://www.action-electronics.com/wirecable.htm

[Uses foil shield with a drain wire. I suspect you will not use the shield or connect the drain wire. If Artex wants you to ground the shield or suggest it than you needed braided shield and that will cost more money and weigh more.]

If you buy a mulitconductor cable just make sure the individual wires are stranded and not solid; if they are solid they will break at some point.

erich is right electronic store harness is not aircraft wire but for this installation its not critical. They usually are made with vinyl or PVC. A little vinyl/PVC wire in the cockpit is not a big deal. Of course in a fire the fumes they give off is bad, but this is only one harness and if this wire is burning you are in trouble. The wires them self have very little current in them.

I don't think you really need a shielded cable. If you go with separate aircraft wires you can use 22 awg aircraft wire and its easy, since you probably have some on hand.

Most cheap ELT's use telephone extension wire, so what ever you do will be deluxe.

Last edited:
Thanks...........

My manual states that if new installation, use shielded 5 wire cable is recommended....however it goes on to say that if using 5 wire, ground 1 end of the shield (drain wire) at the ELT. If using shielded 4 wire, use the shield as the ground wire. So what I may do is order shielded 4 wire.

Thanks guys for your input.........

good idea

hammer408 said:
Thanks...........

My manual states that if new installation, use shielded 5 wire cable is recommended....however it goes on to say that if using 5 wire, ground 1 end of the shield (drain wire) at the ELT. If using shielded 4 wire, use the shield as the ground wire. So what I may do is order shielded 4 wire.

Thanks guys for your input.........
It sounds like a plan. Follow the instructions.

Back