What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ARINC 430 & 330

Kahuna

Moderatoring
A search of the archive turned up zero.

This past weekend I was setting up some new wiring for my Trio A/P. Goal was to get a new set of wires from the 430 and GRT AIRINC outs to a select switch, then to the trio head. Looking at the 430 wiring diagram, it has only one AIRINC channel out. I was surprised to find out that it was already pre-wired by Stark Avionics to the 330. I failed to notice this during installation and did not record this in my schematics.

The 330 does take a serial input from the 430 for GPS position, to activate/deactivate the transpoder at a certain speed. Easy enough to understand. What I cant figure out is why the 330 needs, wants, or desires the AIRINC data stream off the 430. Any ideas?

AIRINC being a serial data stream, I spliced into it and teed off a set of wires for the a/p function I need.

I turned off the AIRINC data output from the 430 and could not see and difference in behavior of the systems. Perhaps when no AIRINC data is received from the 430, it uses the 232 serial for gps speed data?

The 330 manual says the AIRINC input starts and stops the flight timers, as well as puts it in ground mode when landing. Hmmm. I thought the serial input from the 430 did that. It does not say that the AIRINC data put the 330 in atl reporting mode. Just says it puts it in gnd mode. hmmm.:confused:

Thoughts on why the 330 would enjoy the firehose of data off the 430 AIRINC data stream? I feel like there is something important im missing.

Thanks

Perhaps when no AIRINC data is received from the 430, it uses the 232 serial for gps speed data?

I believe this is correct. The GTX 330 can get ground speed data from either an ARINC 429 or RS-232 input. I don't remember which one has priority, but I don't think it should be necessary to hook up both inputs for this purpose.

FWIW, in my airplane the only ARINC 429 connection between my GTX 330 and my GNS 430Ws is a one-way connection to bring the TIS traffic data out of the transponder and into the navigators.

mcb

Also

If you have a separate temperature probe for the 330 it will be come a flight computer that includes DA, TAS etc....

Hummmm,

Correct me if I am wrong, However.........

The 330 (Xponder) gets altitude info from the altitude encoder which is connected to pins 2-11.

The 330 sends alt info via ARINC out 2A & 2B to the 430 via the ARINC in 2A & 2B.

NOTE: The GRT has an Encoder also so one has to be disabled....! If GTR is used delete the alt encoder via in to the 330.

The 330 RS232 In 2 also receives fuel/air data from the GRT RS232 Out 6

The 330 RS232 out 2 also sends TIS data to the GRT RS232 in 6

ARINC INPUTS

The GTX-330's can act as an ARINC-429 concentrator, passing along all the ARINC and RS-232 it receives (and can understand) to other equipment. So, if you have an airdata computer, an AHRS, and a GPS connected to it, all that info gets transmitted on the ARINC429 out ports. The GTX-330 can use GPS speed on arinc 1 IN to start the flight timer and to put the transponder in ground mode automatically. I hope this clarifies the issue.

Yes all correct.
But why is the 430 airinc out going to 330 airinc in?

I don't have the ARINC IN on the 330 connected, only the RS-232 In 2 is connected from the GRT RS232 out 6 Fuel / Air data. The setting I use on the 330 is FADEC (NO ALT) since I have a seperate encoder. The GRT output also goes to the 530 to supply fuel / air data.

If you are interested, pm me and i can email you my schems

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.
My Serial Interconnect diagram is here. Select Drawing 4 Should anyone wish a look at how this is done.

So now you got me wondering.........

Your GRT B19, 20, & 21 are connected. I was under the imperssion that the ARINC took care of this.

VIA

4006 P 23,24

No that is not the case.
Looking at the 430 429 AIRINC vor/ils labels, there are no annunciate labels available in the airinc stream.

Reference the GNS 430W installation manual, Section 4.6.1.2 429 AIRINC labels in the data stream.
429vorilsairinclabels.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and while we are at it. Here is the 429 AIRINC labels so you can see what is going across the wire.
429airinc.jpg

I should add that the GTX330 does not concentrate and forward all ARINC statements. When used as a concentrator, it only forwards a very small select list of ARINC statements, in the 330 docs. Been there, done that, rewired because of it.

Back