What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are You Burning Any Oil?

n74846

Well Known Member
I am about to do a 100 hour engine service (100 TT A&E) and checked oil consumption. I have used about a half liter in 50 hours. There is very slight film on the belly and on the antenna bases. Oil level was maintained at about mid-point on the dip stick. From all I hear and read the engine uses no oil. 0.5l is nothing compared to my old LyCon engines, but different from what I hear.

Is this level of consumption normal or should I start looking for a problem?

Just finished my first 100 hour. Oil level hasn't changed since I did the 25 hour oil change and I don't remember any oil film on the belly.

My engine is coming up on 100TT. I changed oil/filter at 50 hours using Mobil 4T 10W40. I added about 1/4 quart at about 85 hours and suspect this will hold me for the remaining 7 hours until next oil change.

Half a liter in 50 hours is certainly not a big concern, but it is a little unusual in my experience. If there is oil on the belly it sounds more like a small leak than the engine "using" oil. Is the inside of the cowling clean and dry, or is there an oil film there as well? Look for any signs of seepage from any of the oil lines, around the filter, etc. If you can't pinpoint the source, wash down the engine with mineral spirits, blow it dry, and then do a short ground run. You may be able to spot a wet spot before it gets dispersed.

Oil leaks can be frustrating to find. Sometimes it takes a while to find them.

I had a small amount of oil leaking from the fuel pump drain after about 75 hours. Since I was also experiencing random low fuel pressure on takeoff, I replaced the pump. (on advice of Lockwood tech guy)

Thanks for the input. I'm having Lockwood do the first 100 hour since I bought the plane flying. I'll have them do a detailed inspection looking for a possible leak.

Back