What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are These Worth Having?

1. A back-rivet set. This is different than the plate. Here's an example:
http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RSB35

2. A pneumatic squeezer. And if so, is there a particular benefit to the alligator type? With the non-alligator type, other yokes could be used.

Thanks!
Dave

Re: the back rivet set
Definitely (if you'll be doing back riveting). Many folks find that back riveting gives better results in some places.

Re: pneumatic squeezer
You don't want the alligator type - you want the c frame type.

Yes and yes.

With regards to pneumatic squeezers, the best bang for the buck is the non-alligator type, but there are times when you can't fit that in to the area you'd like, so the ideal solution would be to own both. I own a Main Squeeze and a CP-214 (non-alligator) pneumatic.

I don't know

I have a back rivet set that I used extensively in the fuselage skins but it had no spring as the one in the photo has.

I only used a hand squeezer and I loved it. I had personal feel and progressive control of the squeeze and never produced a bad rivet with it.

Bob Axsom

I have a back rivet set that I used extensively in the fuselage skins but it had no spring as the one in the photo has.

I only used a hand squeezer and I loved it. I had personal feel and progressive control of the squeeze and never produced a bad rivet with it.

Bob Axsom

Hmmm...

I think the reason a back-rivet set is important is BECAUSE of the spring (instead of just a flat rivet set). The spring loaded collar holds the two pieces snug before the impact, making a nice tight set.

Am I missing something?

:confused:

Dkb

I vote yes on the back-rivet set; used it quite a bit during my build.

On the pneumatic squeezer, I built my plane without one and never felt like I really needed one. I've never heard anyone that had one say it wasn't worth the money so the answer to your specific question on whether it's worth buying will likely depend on whether the responder has one :)
I consider it a "nice to have" item and I'm sure those that have one will tell you (and me) that I just don't know what I'm missing!

Back rivet set

My back rivet set is a single piece of metal with a recess for the shop head to form in as the rivet is driven from the back end with the bucking bar on the manufactured head. Drove hundreds of rivets with it and they were all good and eazy to do.

Bob Axsom

I consider it a "nice to have" item and I'm sure those that have one will tell you (and me) that I just don't know what I'm missing!

Yup - they are nice to have - kind of like a liver or a spleen.... :cool:

My squeezer is the one tool I'll fight you to the ground for if you wanted to take it outta my shop. If it dies tonight, I've got another one on order tomorrow.

Yup - they are nice to have - kind of like a liver or a spleen....

Yea, from what I've read in the past on same subject I expect others that own/use them will tell me the same thing so I guess I'll have to try one maybe on the next build (if I eventually talk my wife into it...). In the mean time, my RV flies just fine in spite of having been put together with the rudimentary hand-squeezer and rivet gun/bucking bar...
And no, it wasn't lack of a pneumatic squeezer that caused my build to take 12+ years :) That was the 3 growing kids, 4 military moves, and goofing off with my Cessna 140!

My squeezer is the one tool I'll fight you to the ground for if you wanted to take it outta my shop. If it dies tonight, I've got another one on order tomorrow.

Couldnt agree more...the resistance of some builders to NOT buy a pneumatic squeezer baffles me. There are some 14,000 rivets or something on one of these bad boys...sure, you cant squeeze them all, but I have used mine a ton for riveting and dimpling. Why, why, why would you not want to make that task imeasurably easier? If its money...buy one, take care of it during the build...and then sell it when you are done and get a pretty good return. They sell like hotcakes on this site. Is it necessary? No...but gosh is it nice to have....favorite tool that I own.

Yoke style, I have a standard 3" yoke, a 4" no-hole (thin nose) yoke, and a longeron yoke. All serve their purpose and are really good to have.

Back