What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are The Stock -10 Brakes Adequate???

David Clifford

Well Known Member
I am going to order the fusalodge, finish kit, and prop for my -10 this week. Before I do, I am wondering if the vans supplied brake/wheel kit is adequate or if I should delete them from the order and get something a little better. The reason I ask is that I just helped out a friend swap out the stock brakes on the Cozy MKIV we built for ones that are substantially better because he operates off a marginal length runway and usually is heavy. This caused a bit of work and $$ so I would like to avoid doing something similiar. Thanks for any input everyone.

RV-10 Brakes

You need to talk with Carl Franz. He's just down the road from you at Livingston County and has built a 10 with partner Joe Skones. Carl also has an RV6 which he launched sometime around 2000 and has been active at OSH in the past in teaching a sheet metal class.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Flying just over a year with 175 hours on the airplane and my brakes are just fine. I have not heard anyone complaining about RV-10 brakes.

The only problem I have seen is making sure you do not ride the brakes (really in any RV) while taxing. At OSH a few years ago after a long taxi a -10's wheel pants were on fire. Clearly, the pilot was riding the brakes for the very long taxi.

The only problem I have seen is making sure you do not ride the brakes (really in any RV) while taxing. At OSH a few years ago after a long taxi a -10's wheel pants were on fire. Clearly, the pilot was riding the brakes for the very long taxi.

If you put any stronger brakes on the plane you are probably going to flatten a tire. I fried my O-ring at OSH this year taxing the "five" miles through the mud. I had no choice but to ride the right brake to keep it straight in the muck.

I have 183 hours on the original set and alot left.I even had an AP look at them at my condition inspection this year and he agreed that I have at least another 30% left or more.
I fly out of a 2500 ft strip all the time.

Back