What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are all AN365-1032s stop nuts alike?

WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
One of those crazy questions wandering around inside my head as I continue my RV-6A build. I have a bunch of AN365-1032 stop nuts with nylon(?) inserts crimped on top. Question is, some of these nuts have a different color (yellowish vs green) nylon and if I laid the two different colored ones on a flat surface, the crimp height of one is just a little taller than the other. Is this a non-issue?

Non-issue. The color of nylon (it's just a dye) has traditionally be used to identify the manufacturer. For example, the red nuts originally came from ESNA (Elastic Stop Nut Company of America). Don't know if that's still the case.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Colors..

Red=ESNA
Green=Greer
Yellow= Abbott
Purple= Continenal Locknut (not certified)

Both ESNA and Greer were purchased by SPS, but they still maintain their branding.

If you are interested in more Locknut Information click on link below.

Locknuts.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks.

I was concerned about the apparent height difference between what is obviously two different manufacters for the nuts in my kit. Sounds like its a non issue. I see the variances in washer thicknesses as well for what are supposed to be AN960-416 washers. Specs I saw said they should be .063 thick and I have readings of .057 to .063 on my samples. I need to put the caliper down and get back to the rivet gun.

Fasteners from reputable suppliers are made to performance specifications. These include a "proof load" test for the axial strength as well as first on, first off, and fifth off for the prevailing torque feature (the nylon, in this case). The slight variation in overall height should fit within the spec range-no bearing on performance. Correct Tom?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

You can always check the specifications....

I was concerned about the apparent height difference between what is obviously two different manufacters for the nuts in my kit. Sounds like its a non issue. I see the variances in washer thicknesses as well for what are supposed to be AN960-416 washers. Specs I saw said they should be .063 thick and I have readings of .057 to .063 on my samples. I need to put the caliper down and get back to the rivet gun.

...which in this case allow a 0.010 inch tolerance on thickness for steel washers.

Your measurements are well within specifications...:)

http://www.av8design.com/Hardware/AN960.pdf

I was concerned about the apparent height difference between what is obviously two different manufacters for the nuts in my kit.....
zmxnuw.jpg

Thanks Gil

You help a LOT of builders with your responses.

I didn't know about the tolerances for the AN washers until you gave me that link.

The Standard!

Fasteners from reputable suppliers are made to performance specifications. These include a "proof load" test for the axial strength as well as first on, first off, and fifth off for the prevailing torque feature (the nylon, in this case). The slight variation in overall height should fit within the spec range-no bearing on performance. Correct Tom?
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

There is allowance for quite a variation, it is the performance that they are concerned about.

The original standard for full bodied (NOT MINI) hex lock nuts is MIL-N-25027, which has been superseded by the NON-FREE version NASM25027

You can look up the old one on http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksearch just by typing in 25207 in The Document ID Field.

It is basically the same as the copyrighted NASM25027 which I paid $15.00 for, except the new one is easier to read.

That is just the print for the overall locknut performance. it is not the print for a specific series, such as the most popular MS21044, (was AN365 but was superseded over 20 years ago).

You can bore yourself to non-productivity by reading all that stuff, unless you really need to know.

Please feel free to look up "the boiled down to what is important" info on our website. Look for the Little "TECH INFO" wrench Icons on the left side.

The entire reference book is there, just broken up by categories.

We will be updating it all to match our latest release.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com

The Tech portions are up 24-7

Last edited:
Back