What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Archer Comm Antenna Photos?

rvtach

Well Known Member
Hi-

I have searched high and low for a photo of a Bob Archer Comm Antenna installed in an RV wingtip. The instructions say that the antenna needs to be angled up to the top surface of the F/G wingtip and supported with fiberglass and or foam. I'm having a hard time envisioning how to fabricate this support. Can anyone help me out with some pics?

Thanks in advance.

Archer Comm install

Here are links to a few pictures from my installation of the Archer Comm antenna in my right wingtip. I did this IAW the instructions and a separate communication with Bob Archer. I tried to snuggle it up to the lighting making sure to keep the electrical supply to the lights along the front element, which also closely approaches but does not touch the heat shield. It is my understanding that in this way the electrical elements and shield become part of the radiator rather than attenuating the signal.

The base of the antenna is well grounded to the wing via the nutplates to establish the ground plane, and the feedline as well as the lighting supply leads are brought through the last rib very near the front element of the antenna. The longitudinal element is attached to the inside of the upper surface of the wingtip using fiberglass strips and the entire assembly seems quite secure. (A nav antenna is installed in the left wingtip in similar fashion but without the angulation to preserve horizontal polarization.) I wish I could tell you it works like a charm but the installation is untested at this point.

The first image represents the initial layout. The next two are more finished and the last a look at how I brought out the feedline and lighting power to the wing tip. Any redundant length will be pushed back into the wing at assembly.

Archer%20comm%20install
[/URL]

[/IMG]

Thanks...

...that helps!

I can see how it goes better now. The other question I had is in regards to a couple places in Bob's instructions where he says to block up the part of the antenna that is angled from the bottom to the top "using foam blocks or a fiberglass web of some type". How are you going to address that or does it seem structurally strong enough as is?

Thanks again!

Strong enough

I did not use any support under the angled portion. After mounting the antenna as described I did not feel any additional support was needed.

Back