What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP Disconnect Broken

kritsher

Well Known Member
My plane went up for its second flight today. There were a few issues...

1. Oil leak. The o-ring a the top of the oil tank was pinched. Easy fix.

2. Low voltage and constant discharge on the ammeter during flight. During the flight, the skyview showed a steady 4A discharge and the voltage was down to 12V by the end of the 30 minute flight. This was NOT observed in the first flight. Eventually we discovered a wire from the generator coil that was not securely installed in the connector at the regulator, resulting in a bad/intermittent connection. So we fixed that and when we fired the engine up again we got a good strong charging current.

3. "AP Disonnect Broken" message. I know that the button worked before because I used it to configure the AP servos. I'm wondering: could this error be caused by a low system voltage related to issue #2? Has anyone else gotten this message, and if so, what was the fix in your situation?

Thanks

My Dynon D-180 gave the same Autopilot disconnect open circuit error message. I assumed it was a software problem and I disabled that alarm. My AP disconnect button works fine.
Joe Gores

Setting Change

To fix the autopilot disconnect, you must disable a feature that senses if there is a broken wire. If it is not changed I believe all Skyviews will do it when the autopilot is engaged. Easy fix.

Back