What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOPA Pilot RV-10 Article

douglassmt

Well Known Member
Just got my AOPA Pilot magazine and there's a nice article on the RV-10 in there. Now I can show people what I'm working on.

I noticed RV mentions in four different articles in that issue, including the article about flying with Van.

They're finally catching on!

Seriously, when I was there from 1988 to 1999, the magazine did more homebuilt coverage. Kinda got lost in the shuffle lately...

Of course they're not stable as a C-182 and they're not as rugged as a C-182. And we all know they're not as fast as a Cirrus. But they're an okay airplane for half the money.

So the advertisers were still protected.

But at least it's a step in the right direction!!!

Hat's off to Craig Fuller for forcing these folks out of their comfort zone and starting to do whats right for GA!!!!

They're finally catching on!

Seriously, when I was there from 1988 to 1999, the magazine did more homebuilt coverage. Kinda got lost in the shuffle lately...

Hey marc, remember me I wrote an article for kitplanes about a subaru automotive conversion in a zodiac

Guess I saw the light and built an rv...:)

Wow, good catch Rick!! Agreed.

Phil, are you sure about that? My friend has an older Cirrus and he won't race me for pinks :)

Pierre,

I was just stating what the article said. They made sure they mentioned it wasn't as stable, rugged, or fast as their certified advertisers.

Actually I wanted to see if I knew the builder. I didn't set out on an investigation. This info came out last night on the matronics list. It's very disappointing to see in print and bring attention to the reason the FAA started to look hard at the experimental built rule. Now just as the final rule is being released, which the EAA and the ARC committee worked so hard to preserve, plus disprove that this is a wide spread problem, along comes living proof that says the FAA might be on to something. But, if I decide to sell my RV-10 at least all the Doctors and Lawyers will know it's a good aircraft for half the price of the certified counterpart. Nothing against Doc's and Laywers....They still have the fleet of V-tailed Bonanza's to go through first.:D

Last edited:
Investigation

Seems they might have found at least someone who built it themselves instead of just filling out the paperwork saying they did. He claims he didn't build it but alas...more fodder for the 51 percent rule debate. This is the kinda reporting that can hurt us more than help.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=430WP

Do a little more investigation and you'll find the author is a member of these VAF forums. If the author were only reporting what the pilot/owner told him, I'm not so sure we should blame the author for not digging out and reporting this apparent indiscretion. I agree with you, though; the owner's words about not being the builder don't smell good when compared with the faa registry you link.

There was a companion article written by another author about flying with Van hisself in the company RV-10 from Oregon to Oshkosh. I thought both articles were well written and discuss favorably RV's in general and the RV-10 in particular.

Last edited:
Of course they're not stable as a C-182 and they're not as rugged as a C-182. And we all know they're not as fast as a Cirrus. But they're an okay airplane for half the money.
Not all Cirri are created equal. Older SR20s will max out at 145kt, while SR22 Turbos with the G3 wing will exceed 200kt in the flight levels.

The real down sides to the Curris are (1) it's not fun to hand-fly with the strange spring-trim system and (2) it's expensive to operate - a "cheap" annual is about $5k.

TODR

I think he clearly understands the viewpoint of the builder/owner now. I know of several people who have been trading e-mails with him throughout the day.

The sad part is that the article was really intended to by very positive. It was just a bad example to highlight.

Sometime I do the same thing with good intentions and then screwing something up in the process. I call those "Gilligan Moments".... :D:D:D

Yes, but a member of these forums nonetheless.

I'm not bashing the author at all, matter of fact it was a great article. If anyone should have some idea of the ramifications of making an official declaration in writing that one built ones airplane when in fact they did not, I would expect a member of this forum would be more knowledgable than the average aviation writer regarding this issue.

I thought both articles were well written and discuss favorably RV's in general and the RV-10 in particular.

I also thought the articles were well pretty favorable overall. One thing that is not entirely clear is how much editing was done to the author's original story. This might be where the somewhat unbalanced comparisons ("not as rugged", etc.) were introduced. Could just as easily have emphasized the fact that RV-10 is faster than the C-182 and uses less runway than the SR-22.

Not sure its really the author's responsibility to run down the airworthiness certificate. Its unfortunate that the owner apparently didn't see a problem with this.

Back