What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone who knows AutoCAD

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I’m ready to lay out my panel and anything that is drawn goes away / hidden. I can do a block select and see the lines but as soon as I try to do a function or hit ESC the object becomes hidden.

I’m unable to find anything online specific to this. Please contact me

Thanks

the layers are all On. I imported a friend’s panel it is on layer 0. When I turn Off the layer, I can’t block highlight the panel like I can when the layer is turned On.

After I hit the Esc key the panel becomes hidden. When I move the curser/mouse around the objects within the panel will light up and become hidden again when the curser moves off it

Looks like the lines are the same color as the background. Select all of it and change color.

AutoCAD is great and I’ve used most of the flavors over the years. But for a panel you might take a look at FrontPanelExpress.com. Their free layout software is pretty good and when it’s done a couple of clicks and a credit will make it show up in a few days. I’ve never done a big panel this way but have done some smaller panels (with engraved lettering) and they turned out great.

Attachments

• IMG_4599.jpeg
    IMG_4599.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 70
I am no longer current with AutoCad but the thought I have is what happens if you save it as a .dxf and see if your work becomes visible using a simple viewer? If nothing else, maybe it could rule out a couple things 🤷‍♂️

I’m using Solidworks now but does AutoCAD have a construction line optiion? Perhaps that can cause the behaviour too? Good luck

Grab everything and move it to a layer besides 0. Then change its color, Verify in the properties that everything is on, scale at 1.0. No snowflakes (that's frozen). Then esc. and enter ZE (zoom extents). Good luck.

I’m ready to lay out my panel and anything that is drawn goes away / hidden. I can do a block select and see the lines but as soon as I try to do a function or hit ESC the object becomes hidden.

I’m unable to find anything online specific to this. Please contact me

Thanks
Open a sample file and start with those drawing configurations. Draw in the sample file.

If you are using an image file as a background, perhaps for tracing a photograph JPG of instruments, check the Z coordinates of various things in the drawing. Also use the "display order" function (on a pull down in my menu layout) to move things up or down above images so they are not hidden. I have a license for an old version of AutoCad and it definitely has some bugs that occasionally cause some drawn objects to not display or plot sometimes even if all layer settings are correct. As a user of AutoCad since version 2.1 in 1984 sometimes I have a drawing that has drawn objects or blocks that do not display or plot properly with no explanation. I usually find a work-around, sometimes "xref-ing" the problem drawing in and drawing in a new drawing. As a last resort try drawing things in paper space. Also try the "audit" function (type it at command line) to fix drawing database errors, purge and "wblock" out parts of the drawing.

Back