What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone Using Delrin Rudder Stops on the RV-10?

Pool Shark

I see many in the RV-7 community have switched to the Internal Rudder Stop Design (similar to the -10's), but are using a single-piece Delrin Block rather than the two small aluminum tabs per the RV-10 plans. I've also been reading about many pilots having their aluminum stops shear off in a gust.

Finally, I discovered that even Van's RV-10 prototype has switched to using bolts instead of rivets to attach the aluminum stops:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45564&highlight=rudder+stops+shear

Questions:

1) Are any RV-10 builders using the single Delrin block stop?
2) If so, are you glad you made that change?
3) How many, and what size bolts did you use to attach it.
4) Did you position the Delrin block on top of, or between the hinge brackets?
5) Do you have any concerns that the Delrin block would transfer too much load to the hinge brackets?

Last edited:
Thread embedded leads to a broken link for (aftermarket?) rudder stops.

I'll wait to see what the VAF wisdom is here. Perfect timing for me.

Bill,

Did you make the block yourself? Where did you mount it (on top or between the brackets)? How many and what size bolts did you use to mount it?

I have one also that I fabricated and installed during the build. Mine is installed between the brackets using two AN3 bolts.

I don't recall which vendor I purchased it from. Do a search in the rv10 group, I know I have seen it posted. I used 4 AN3 bolts and installed it between the lower bracket where the stock one goes

David & Bill,

Thanks a ton; that was the install I had in mind (installed between the brackets with 2 to 4 bolts)

Since the only commercially-available block (from FlyBoyAccessories) appears designed for the -7, I will likely be fabricating my own for the -10 from a block of Delrin.

What are your impressions of how the Delrin stop handles gusts?

Last edited:
David & Bill,

Thanks a ton; that was the install I had in mind (installed between the brackets with 2 to 4 bolts)

Since the only commercially-available block (from FlyBoyAccessories) appears designed for the -7, I will likely be fabricating my own for the -10 from a block of Delrin.

Flyboys do not give a specific RV model. I thought they were universal. A call to Flyboys (or response from them here) will answer this.

Carlos,

Since the -7 guys were using FlyBoys block in lieu of their external stops, I assumed it was designed for the -7. Also the geometry in FlyBoys' photo looks different than the -10.

In any case, I'll check it out and see if FlyBoys recommends their block for the RV-10.

Questions:

1) Are any RV-10 builders using the single Delrin block stop?
2) If so, are you glad you made that change?
3) How many, and what size bolts did you use to attach it.
4) Did you position the Delrin block on top of, or between the hinge brackets?
5) Do you have any concerns that the Delrin block would transfer too much load to the hinge bra

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Standard an bolts, I can't remember the size
4. In between
5. No

My Kinda Guy!

Bob,

I wish all my witnesses answered the way you do; It would make jury trials so much easier and faster!

Thanks for the concise answers.

Back