What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone tried the Jabiru 8?

breister

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone has actually installed one of these motors, and if so what they think.

The weight seems favorable, but it looks like a fixed-only hub and no injection.

Then again, if you could just add cylinders an 8-cylinder Rotax would be the bees knees...

Rotax has a hard time keeping gearboxes together with their little motors, good luck with 180hp 8 cylinders :)...

I haven't used or seen the 8cylinder Jab, but I liked what I saw in the 4 cyl and the 6 cyl.

The Jabiru is a direct drive. I would have to ask why would you want this engine at somewhere north of $20,000 instead of a Lycoming. Don

The Jabiru is a direct drive. I would have to ask why would you want this engine at somewhere north of $20,000 instead of a Lycoming. Don

Pure curiosity at this point - it seems like it would be smoother, and it weighs less. It is also smaller in some dimensions.

I'm not switching any time soon in my current plane, but have been toying with the idea of actually BUILDING one instead of just buying used homebuilts...

:)

For the Rotax, if the COULD solve the gearbox problem they would still be out of the park on price for an 8-cylinder.

This is one Jab8 powered RV

At least two 8 cylinder Jab powered RVs are flying in Australia. This one was demonstrated by Jabiru themselves at the SAAA conventionin Temora in October 2004.
I believe they offer firewall forward packages.
Doug Gray

picrv6jab88iz6.jpg

picrv6jab87ms3.jpg

picrv6jab85rd8.jpg

picrv6jab84zd7.jpg

picrv6jab83sm6.jpg

picrv6jab82vz1.jpg

picrv6jab81tj0.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice installation - I particularly like the plenums.

Are those mufflers in the exhaust line?

Most importantly, have you heard any feedback on how the engines are performing?

I am not closely following the progress of these engines, they are however interesting enough to take some photos.
All good questions though but I can only suggest they be directed to the Jabiru people themselves. Try the Australian office direct tho..
Doug Gray

Fine Engines, not cheap

Jabaru has made good engines in the past, and I'm sure the 8 will be another. The only knock I've ever heard on the Jabarus is that some of the early engines had some oil-pump/oil pressure problems. They are a well made engine in general. I've seen the inside and out personally. The 8 wasn't generally available and may take time to order. All the Jabaru engines carry aircraft prices. I would love to hear the 8 running!
Bill Jepson

jab 5100cc 8-cyl.

I flew that aircraft a couple of years back. In comparison to my 180hp Lyc Rv-4, it was real smooth and hassle free to operate. Choke, turn key, purrrr, and no mixture to adjust in flight (2 x Bing CV carbs tailored to the engine). Performance seemed typical of a 180hp RV-6, but I didn't get any hard numbers. The engine is longer than a lyc, and you can' t use a CS prop. or fit a standard inverted oil system.

Jabiru started development of the engine and firewall forward package when the Aussie $ was down below 60 US cents, and before the Lyc-clones became common at less than Lycoming list price. Once this changed, the economic motivation dissapeared. Jab haven't built new ones in a while, and earlier this year were advertising old stock at AUD$20k. I'd seriously consider one for a light, simple RV. Without expert knowledge, I'd say the 8 smaller cylinders running at higher rpm would make it less prone to detonation and thus more suited to mogas use than a Lyc (the factory recommend avgas only however).

These engines are very simple to maintain and cheap to overhaul.

If you look after them they will be good value for money. The AUD v USD has been good for us importing RV10 equipment, and just as we paid the last of it its dropped almost 10% in two weeks so maybe now the Jab 8 will be more affordable.

I would rather a new Jab 8 than a used Lyc.

Having said that I am about to change from a Jab powered to an IO540!

DB

I spoke to the nice folks at the Jab booth at the show last week, and the price for getting an 8 with the FWF kit for an RV to the states is $35,000...:eek:

I've long been a fan of this engine, and back when you could get one for $20-22kUSD, it seemed fair to look at them. My jaw about dropped to the grass when she said $35,000...and according to them, they are not yet producing new engines, just plans to run another batch sometime.

I hope they do, but at that price, it's not going to be a big seller outside OZ...

CJ

Might have nothing to do with Jabiru....... and everything to do with your Yanky Greenbacks falling through the floor! :eek:

See in the big wide world (thats outside the USA) the global economy has been powering away, albeit slowed a little of late. As I am sure you are all well aware, the USD has copped a flogging in recent times and part the reason oil prices have soared. Add to that the sub prime circus and you wonder why the poor old greenback is not known as the US Peso!:D

A few years ago maybe 10-15 the Aussie was renmed the Pacific Peso for similar reasons, and back then a Jab engine was pocket money for you guys and a C152 was like a Bonanza.

The tables have turned. There was a time when our GA fleet here was being picked over by mainly US buyers who were able to buy back Cessna and Piper and Beech cheaper than when they left in the first place by a huge margin. And anyone who bought a Bonanza or SR20 a few years ago is now $100K behind the 8 ball compared to today.

The fall of the US and rise of the Aussie (mostly against the US but a bit against the euro and GBP) has really put a dent in the Jabiru sales.

The cyclic things of the Global Village. It was my lucky strike I bought all the RV10 gear engine avionics the lot at around AUD$0.97 = USD$1.00 so I am all smiles. Things can return to normal now!

Cheers from down under!
DB

STOP PRESS...... in the last week you have gained about 10% from the peak of a month ago, so maybe the Jab is getting cheaper! :p

Last edited:
Back