What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone training in a RV-9A?

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Dan Cunningham is not flying at present.
Mike Seager says that all his training for the 9A is given in the 6A at the moment.
I have heard that Sam Benjamin has given training in a 9A, but have not gotten any reply to email.

Anyone else I should try?

6A = OK

It would be great to find someone who trains in the 9A. However, I had the same issue while I was building my 9A. I did the transition training in a 6A and when I test flew my 9A it was a breeze. The 9A is different, I won't say easier, because they are both fairly straightforward. Believe me, if you are unsuccessful in locating a 9A for training, don't despair, the 6A will serve you well. Good luck and fly safe.

Paul Eastham said:
Dan Cunningham is not flying at present.
Mike Seager says that all his training for the 9A is given in the 6A at the moment.
I have heard that Sam Benjamin has given training in a 9A, but have not gotten any reply to email.

Anyone else I should try?

I trained with Sam (he was a really nice guy) when I first flew my 9A. After converting my 9A to a 9 I flew with Mike Seager. Go fly with Seager and get the basics down. You are more than welcome to fly in my 9 after you have your transition training just to see what the differences are.

I'm looking for someone with a -9 in the TX or OK areas to go for a ~1 hr ride to get the feel of the -9. I suspect that the -9 is more of the airplane that I want (over a -7), but not having flown one, I can't say. I'm currently flying a FlightDesign CTSW.

Happy to spring for some 100LL and lunch (BBQ, anyone?).

Why did you convert the 9a to a 9? What differances have you noticed and are you pleased with your decision. I am planning a build beginning this fall and am having a problem deciding on the 9 or 9a although I am partial to the 9 which I think looks cooler.

Skydiver said:
Why did you convert the 9a to a 9? What differances have you noticed and are you pleased with your decision. I am planning a build beginning this fall and am having a problem deciding on the 9 or 9a although I am partial to the 9 which I think looks cooler.

I converted to save gas. My personal weather requirements have reduced a bit so I don't fly as many hours. It gets really windy here in Tehachapi.

The real reason being it's a little more challenging. I wanted a plane that was a little more challenging to fly. I like having to keep on my toes, I think it makes me a better pilot.

7 works also!

I took my xition training in a 7 and found it fine for the 9A It was good tailwheel practice and I land almost like a tailwheel anyway. Keeping the nosewheel up is like keeping the tail stuck, and a little extra "footwork" on the rudders is good practice. My speeds in mph were about like the 7 speeds in knots. Both are easy planes to land, although the 9A does have more of a tendency to float if fast.

Bob Kelly

Back