What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone know what this sensor directly above oil filter is?

Mdragon

This sensor is blocking my installation of a back up generator on the old vacuum pad. Any idea what it does?

Attachments

• IMG_9389.jpg
    IMG_9389.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 355
Oil temp probe on the right (the one with the red connector)
Old school mechanical RPM sender on the left (the flat, round one). It was used with the old school steam gauges for RPM readout in the cockpit.

Carl

Tach generator, connected to the engine tach cable output.
It feeds the speed signal to the tachometer.
Back when those Vans brand instruments were popular, there was an optional kit that used a short cable that allowed mounting the generator remotely on the firewall to allow for a vacuum pump or other accessorie to be installed on that drive output.

So I have a dynon hdx system installed, but used old tachometer inputs. Is there another way to get tachometer without this legacy sensor?

So I have a dynon hdx system installed, but used old tachometer inputs. Is there another way to get tachometer without this legacy sensor?

Short answer - yes (and much preferred over this clunky sender).

Get RPM indication from the mags themselves. Review the SkyView EMS install instructions.

Carl

If you're installing the Monkworks Alternator there should be just enough room there. You can loosen the collar holding the Tacho Gen and turn the tail of it down into the vertical so its out of the way. There is no anti-rotation index on this sensor so you can position the tail wherever it suits. This should then give you enough clearance to install the alternator.

If its not a Monkworks unit you're installing then yes, you will most likely need to remove the Tacho Gen and come up with an alternative. Vans sell a cap to place over the tacho output on the engine to blank it off. This is Part Number: IE RC-1 CAP, and will set you back about $10.00.

You can go to the remote mounted Tacho Gen (sold by UMA) or go for the Hall Effect sensor that installs in the side of the magneto, depending on your preference and your gauge. One option (if you have Slick Mags) is Part Number: MGL TACH-SLICK - available from Aircraft Spruce for about $140.00. You might need to change your instrument settings though as the output from the Tach Gen could be "2" or "4", depending on the model you have... (mine is "4") and what you replace it with might have a different output. As you have an EFIS system in your panel you can change this easy enough. Check your settings,

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
If you're installing the Monkworks Alternator there should be just enough room there. You can loosen the collar holding the Tacho Gen and turn the tail of it down into the vertical so its out of the way. This should then give you enough clearance to install the alternator.

If its not a Monkworks unit you're installing then yes, you will need to remove the Tacho Gen and come up with an alternative. Vans sell a cap to place over the tacho output on the engine to blank it off.

You can go to the remote mounted Tacho Gen (sold by UMA) or go for the Hall Effect sensor that installs in the magneto, depending on your preference and your gauge.

He mentioned he has a Dynon HDX EFIS. If he has an EMS220 module for other engine instruments he can make a connection to that from his P-leads.

BTW, its not necessary to block off the tach. cable port, but you can if you want to.

Thanks everyone. I did a rotate the tack down a bit and grind off an edge so I think the monk works can rotate without hitting it. The oil filter does kind of get in the way though.

I'd be interested in some photos of the Monkworks installation with that sensor if you have any, please. PM me if you like.

Cheers,

Might want to move that safety wire away from the oil temp sensor connection, before you start getting erroneous readings....

Back