What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone know a good engine overhauler?

andysRV

I'm New Here
Hi all,

I'm getting to the engine buying phase and I'm hoping to buy a timed out engine and have it overhauled. There's a shop advertising overhauls at KLEE on ebay.
Has anybody got a good recommmendation?

Thanks
Andy

Hi all,

I'm getting to the engine buying phase and I'm hoping to buy a timed out engine and have it overhauled. There's a shop advertising overhauls at KLEE on ebay.
Has anybody got a good recommmendation?

Thanks
Andy

Andy, I don't have a recommendation for you, but be advised that your total overhaul cost may come close to the cost of a new engine. I have been down this road and have seen it play out several times over the years.

If you really want a used engine you might be better served by a good, mid-time engine that you can fly for several years before major work is required. But if you intend to keep your RV for a long time a new engine is usually a good option in regard to maintenance cost and resale value.

Sam is giving you excellent advice. Just a few parts red tagged and you're out a whole bunch more than you figured on....
Good luck!

Barrett Precision Engines

Give Rhonda or Allan at call at BPE. You'll get the straight info from them. They might be able to get a you a new engine for close to the cost of a complete overhaul.

Engine overhaul

Do what you like and feel most comfortable with. It won't hurt to call and see what a few shops will say. I went with Aeroengines of Winchester. In fact, he is rebuilding the engine in the AOPA Debonair that is is this years giveaway plane. Tom did a great job for me and I would absolutely do business with him again. As always your mileage will vary but I recommend him. Tim

One thing to add to the above... if you want a custom engine in terms of different parts etc. the OH route might make sense. If you just want the equivalent of what Vans / Superior / AeroSport etc. sell, it's hard to better them on price, ease and warranty.

Back