What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone installed this prop?

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I am in the process of buying an IO 540 C4B5 engine. The seller also has a prop that was used on this engine. The prop is HC-C2Y(R)-4CF and the hub model D-2201-16. I spoke with Hartzel, and this an aerobatic prop that goes into course pitch with loss of oil pressure (not feather). It also has counterweights. I am still finding out about the blade numbers. The Hartzel rep said there is no problem using this prop for non-aerobatic application, but installation might prove difficult. Has anyone installed this type of prop in -10? Or on any RV model?
Thanks.
Johan

Since the prop was on the engine you're looking at, I would presume (always dangerous) that the governor on the engine is the right one for that prop - "backwards", so you would have to change it for a "normal" prop.

Since the prop was on the engine you're looking at, I would presume (always dangerous) that the governor on the engine is the right one for that prop - "backwards", so you would have to change it for a "normal" prop.

I believe it is the correct governor for that prop (backwards as you said). It looks different and "old". It looks similar to the ones on the Aztec engines.
Johan

hub model D-2201-16

This specific hub has a recurring AD requiring eddy current inspection every 100 hrs.
Johan

This from Hartzel:
The HC-C2YR-4CF would work ?backwards? in comparison to a HC-C2YR-1 prop. The HC-C2YR-4CF prop is ?oil to low pitch? (high RPM) and the HC-C2YR-1BFP prop is ?oil to high pitch? (low RPM), but as long as you had the correct governor installed, it would work on your engine. The blades will be the only sticking point, as they may or may not be approved on a 540 engine.

The hub in the -4 prop you are looking at has an Airworthiness Directive on it, requiring it to have an eddy current inspection every 100 FH. These eddy current inspections run about $300, depending upon where you live or have them done.

Back