What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone in Florida with a GNX375?

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I have a friend with a Lancair 290. He has a GNX375 with the antenna installed under the fiberglass cowling. His plane was down for close to 2 years to have 4 cracked cylinders replaced. The plane has been flying a few months now and has noticed the gps drop off intermittently.

We have confirmed the satellites drop off with the mic is keyed between frequencies 118.0 and 122.0. He first noticed it when the Xcruise was engaged. But then last week it dropped three times within a couple of short flights. The last time it dropped when he turned from the downwind to base before he keyed the mic.

A month ago we tried a notch filter, physically grounding the gps antenna (it’s mounted on a small 12”x10” ground plane that’s grounded was already grounded) and the radio stack even though Garmin says a ground plane is not needed for the gps antenna. The Garmin tech went through possible radio interference, the elt’s electrical board possibly being activated during radio xmission. So we tried removing the elt and placing it in a trunk of a car to completely isolate it from any radio xmission while testing it on the ground. We even tested it away from any hangars, but the gps signal would still drop momentarily when the mic was keyed between those frequencies.

So what I’d like to try is placing his GNX375 unit in someone’s plane here in Florida to make sure it’s not the unit with the problem and rule that out. If the unit is not the problem then not sure what’s causing the problem. He is located in Tampa KVDF and can fly over to you

Thanks
Daren

Comm Transmitter type?
The length of the GPS coax cable used to be very pickey, 13.5ft minimum. I believe ,,,Just saying...
Notch filter adjusted......??

For the GTN650 the minimum length is 6ft so I assume it would be the same for the GNX375. The are 2 com radios, Bendix King which the earlier serial number units I believe lacked filters. He verified with Garmin his was later serial number. The other com was a Par100EX radio. The notch filter was purchased through Aircraft Spruce and it non adjustable for the Com frequencies. GPS cable is RG400. The Com radios are most likely RG58 and the Com antennas are located inside the tail section of the fuselage which as you known is fiberglass

IIRC it's possible for nearby antennas including com antennas to interfere with Garmin GPS. Also Garmin had an issue with WAAS GPS antennas cracking due to excess torque on the screws holding them in place. You may want to test with another antenna and also be sure com antennas are far enough from WAAS/GPS antenna to avoid interference.

A 1575.42 notch filter in series with comm output Garmin P/N 330-00067-00. I'm not sure if Spruce is the correct one.
Also, you may have to put a "Bird" wattmenter in the line to check quality of the transmissions considering no ground plane.
I know a guy (Glasair) who could not stop his ELT from tripping (turning on) using either transmitter. A lot of "separation" of
antennas were done with multiple type filters added. A spectrum analyzer might help here....... Good luck!!

Back