What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have experience with Performance Engines in California?

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
La Verne, CA to be exact. Their website is

http://www.performanceengines.com/

I've asked them for a quote for 4 new cylinders with higher compression pistons. 9:1, 9.5:1 and 10:1

I'd appreciate any information or opinions from anyone who knows them or has dealt with them. I would usually order from a brand name like ECI but these guys have forged pistons for higher compression rations and I'm tempted to trick my RV-8 out a little. I want to be careful though - 4 new cylinders with pistons will be between $4,000 and $5,000!

Thanks.

All pistons are forged, so why would theirs be any different or better. AeroInStock sells CT pistons, and they come in the flavors you want, and they're fairly inexpensive at a bit over $100/ea. Their website is http://www.combustech.com. If you order cylinders, pistons, and a ring set you're looking at about a grand a cylinder from Aero.

Good experience

I had a very good experience with Ron. He overhauled the engine in my
RV-6 (O-360). He picked it up and delivered it on time (two weeks).
My experience was very good and know others who feel the same. I do
know someone who would not recommed them however. My dealings with Performance were in July 2007.

Thanks everyone. I ended up ordering cylinders and 9:1 pistons from ECi in San Antonio. They were the experimental version that they sell and cost about $910 per cylinder. Also ordered the required inter-cylinder baffles.

Performance Engines

Stay away. If you look through the archives in VAF and Matronics you will find a series of posts regarding Ron Munson and Performance Engines. When I reached my point of exasperation I posted my experiences here and a lot of other bad experiences were revealed. Bottom line is that there are plenty of really good people/companies to deal with so why even risk dealing with someone risky.

Back