What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

anyone have any RV-12 registration numbers?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
Before I spend some quality time remembering how to do SQL queries, I thought I'd try a quick question to the experts.

I'm looking for the number of RV-12's registered in the US each of the past few years. (2012, 2011, 2010, etc.)

I found one website claiming 650 kits have been sold... but what I'm after is how many have been registered each year.

I know I can pull this data from the FAA, but does anyone have it handy?

Thanks,

Registration numbers alone may not give you what you might be looking for. I registered mine almost before I even popped the first rivet, while others do not register theirs until several years later when it is ready to fly.

Thanks Don. I guess I thought it was like E-AB where the registration happens at the end (even though you can reserve an N-number any time).

I'm looking for the number of planes completed each year. I don't know a better method based on public data. I may have to just accept the inaccuracy.

Many people register their aircraft early. It's not a good practice and many time causes troubles.
There is no way to know for sure how many there are flying.
You can look at individual registrations and look for airworthiness status, but that won't tell you for sure either because the FAA is not necessarily prompt about updating their website.
Sometimes after I send in the paperwork, it gets updated within days. Other times, it's months.

Just to close the thread - I used the "airworthiness date" in the FAA database and it culled out many records that aren't yet airworthy. This is what I got:

2008 - 0
2009 - 14
2010 - 59
2011 - 55
2012 - 55
2013 - 6 (so far)

That makes 189. There may be more but this was a quick database search.

Just curious Mel, why do you think "it is not a good practice and many times causes trouble" to register early? I am not saying it isn't, but cannot think of a single reason not to register early and get it out of the way..

Many people register their aircraft early. It's not a good practice and many time causes troubles.
There is no way to know for sure how many there are flying.
You can look at individual registrations and look for airworthiness status, but that won't tell you for sure either because the FAA is not necessarily prompt about updating their website.
Sometimes after I send in the paperwork, it gets updated within days. Other times, it's months.

Once an aircraft is registered, local government could ask for sales tax and use tax.
Joe Gores

I've been involved in several instances where the owner decided or was forced to sell the project before it was complete. Another situation where the original builder passed away and the project had to be sold.
Once it has been registered, the FAA considers it an aircraft and the "builder" is set in stone.
When the new owner completes the aircraft, who signs the 8130-12 (eligibility statement)?
I was involved in one situation where the original builder registered the aircraft, contracted a disease and passed away. The project was sold.
Fortunately the surviving spouse had power of attorney and was able to sign the 8130-12.
This are just a couple of circumstances. There can be others.
I know that you think that things like this will never happen to you but that's what these guys thought too.

My recommendation is to register the aircraft a month or so before the expected airworthiness inspection.

Once an aircraft is registered, local government could ask for sales tax and use tax.
Joe Gores

Yep, Ohio tagged me for both. I initialy registered when I thought I had just a few months left, then things happened and I'm now just finishing a year later.

I had been paying sales tax as I go along, so that wasn't an issue. Ohio doesn't care if you are airworthy or not, but they did want their $15/seat fee. Neither were a big impact to me. At leaset it wasn't the 3-5% use tax some other states have.

Those in other countries

When the 234 number is published by Vans it likely includes a world wide number. Your research is limited to US and may have those other factors you recognize and what others mentioned.

Back