What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone... Have any pics of N53VA?

Factory, EAA, Sportsman Pilot Sources

No I do not have any photos of N53VA but I have a couple of ideas if it is for reference only or for a worthy cause in the eyes of the owners. Van's Aircraft certainly should have photos of their original RV-3. I have a couple of VHS tapes that I bought before I bought my kit - one is called "The RV Story" and the other is "Total Performance." I think it appears in those but I'm not absolutely certain. I could send you one or both of those - there is a little sentiment attached to them but I could let you have them if you want. I, like a lot of people I suspect, have the entire set of EAA Sport Aviation on CD up until they got so blah that I don't even look at them anymore. It was reported to be such a sensation that I'm sure it was well covered in the publication in the early 1970s - that I do not want to part with but surely someone around Taylor, TX has a set that you could look at. I could research it and give you magazine issue references if you like. The EAA may still sell those CD sets which you could buy. If they gave permission I could print copies of the applicable articles with pictures of N53VA and sent them to you. Sportsman Pilot may have done an article on it but that might be harder to come up with since Jack Cox is gone and my collection does not go back that far.

Bob Axsom

I searched the FAA Registery

I shows S/N 1 but gives a MFR date of 1993. Maybe that is when it was rebuilt as the source of the "B" model because the Vans Aircraft site says it was manufactured in 1973.

Bob Axsom

Back