What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have a VP-X installed in their aircraft?

I bought a 7A with a VP-X already installed and had to upgrade to the VP-X Pro in order to get a few more circuits. Anyway, after my last maintenance with my A&P, one of my dual Dynon screens (the co-pilot side MFD) immediately shuts off, whereas the pilot side PFD remains on and gives me the option to "power off" as well as do the backup battery test. The thing is that I have moved across the country, so the mechanic won't call me back and I cannot figure out why my MFD shuts off immediately instead of stays on like the PFD does. It USED to be both the same, and I think it has something to do with the VP-X rather than Dynon settings, as I have exhausted that route to no avail.

Anyone have any insight here? Yes, I have a call into Vertical Power but haven't gotten a call back yet.

Is the Copilot MFD’s backup battery still electrically connected to the MFD? If it’s disconnected, the unit will shut down when you cut the master.

I have the exact same setup. I would first confirm that the backup battery plug is connected to the MFD. Next I’d check the config file for anything obvious.

Is the Copilot MFD’s backup battery still electrically connected to the MFD? If it’s disconnected, the unit will shut down when you cut the master.
Yes, I have actually just replaced the backup battery and it still doesn't stay on when I shut down. Even when I cursed up and down... haha.

I know the battery is definitely connected and being read by the MFD because I got the error that it was low on charge when I installed the new one. So, it knows there was a new battery there that was low on charge. I flew the plane for an hour and that low battery message went away. Now, it just shuts down immediately just like before. So I know it wasn't (or isn't) the current (new) battery... ugh...

I know the battery is definitely connected and being read by the MFD because I got the error that it was low on charge when I installed the new one. So, it knows there was a new battery there that was low on charge. I flew the plane for an hour and that low battery message went away. Now, it just shuts down immediately just like before. So I know it wasn't (or isn't) the current (new) battery... ugh...
Just a guess. Your vpx configuration has fault for mfd or the C/B amperage is slightly to low. All you need to do is turn fault off, double check amperage is correct for mfd then click on update button.

It would be worth connecting your laptop to the VPX to see what’s in the configuration file in terms of the custom settings. Flap deployment speed, wing wag speeds, trim set points. It’s very customizable. There’s a port on the side of the box and it’s pretty straightforward once you’re in. Their website has all of the info you need.

It would be worth connecting your laptop to the VPX to see what’s in the configuration file in terms of the custom settings. Flap deployment speed, wing wag speeds, trim set points. It’s very customizable. There’s a port on the side of the box and it’s pretty straightforward once you’re in. Their website has all of the info you need.
But be advised: It's an ethernet port. If your laptop doesn't have an ethernet port, you'll need some sort of adaptor to go Ethernet/USB. Tons of 'em available online.

With the master off, can you power up the Dynon screen by holding down the left most button? If the backup battery is connected and working properly then the screen should power up.

Turning off the master should cut the power to the VPX so it doesn't sound like the problem is with the VPX.

With the master off, can you power up the Dynon screen by holding down the left most button? If the backup battery is connected and working properly then the screen should power up.

Turning off the master should cut the power to the VPX so it doesn't sound like the problem is with the VPX.
I've never heard of doing that. Wow, thanks for that tip. I'll try it.

I just had an issue similar with G5 and backup battery install. Different brand and probably different issue. But the main power and backup power shutdown close enough and in a way it faulted the vpx. I had to remove backup battery and remove vpx fault, then cycle G5 power to get it working. Then installed and charged backup battery just ~5% so it would be stable.
the odd part was that the power down seemed normal and I thought the G5 was toast when it would never come back on with ship power or backup battery(which was dead). Sounds like andyhudson backup battery has some power so might be different issue. But checking vpx configuration would be prudent

Back