What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone familiar with Woodward prop control

ceuh1v

Concerning Woodward prop controller -- The Woodward unit that I have is 180 degrees upside-down from what the Vans drawing shows. The Vans drawing shows the actuator lever in the 12 oclock position, my governor has the actuator lever in the 6 oclock position with the unit mounted to the back of the O-360! I have been told that if you remove the 6 cap/lever assembly retaining bolts, you can rotate the cap with the lever/ spring assembly attached -- "Just remove the bolts and rotate it 180 degrees and then reinstall the bolts??" Is this correct? Has anyone done this? Please share your experience?? What to look out for - ie.- remove bolts - cap and misc. parts spring out and some are never found again!!!
Thanks, Jim

DO NOT REMOVE the six screws. LOOSEN the 6 screws and rotate to the location or position that you want. I did mine that way over 2,000 hobbs hours ago.

Hi Gary -- please confirm

Gary - Thank you for your swift reply --- I don't have the governor here infront of me - my memory tells me that the 6 screws mount the cap/spring/lever assembly to the body of the governor - if I don't "remove" the six screws I don't understand how I can "rotate the cap/sring/lever assembly the 180 degrees to the proper position? Are the 6 screws holding a "clamp" that when loosened allows the cap to be rotated??
I really appreciated you help,
Jim Woodring

HI Gary and All--Woodward update

Gary, I visited Faeth Aircraft (recycled parts) here in Sacramento and Stan showed me an array of Woodward governors (the governor I need to adjust is not presently in my possession). It seems that there are several arrangements for mounting the control arm/cover to the governor body. Gary, the system and procedure you described is probably the one I have and I will follow your instruction. Woodward has a couple other GA governors, one where the lever and cover is acutally "clamped" to the governor body (looks something like a big hose clamp). The other example looks very similar to "ours" but the 6 retaining screws must be removed to turn the control/cover assembly. Using the governor we have, loosen the six screws and then turn the lever/cover assembly to the desired location - the trick is don't mess up the gasket - possible leaks! Under no circumstances should you remove the control arm - this would allow the governor to "unwind" -- take me to the shop!
Gary, thank you very much for your assistance, it is appreciated,
Jim

Back