What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone Doing A Throttle Quadrant in an RV-7?

I just did this a week ago...I followed Roberta's lead and mounted it the same way. I think I got some good pictures from Bill Repucci's website (can't recall who's it was). I have it mounted in the center using angle to attach it to the instrument panel and sub-panel. Solid and looks good.

Check out the panel page on my web site for details of my installation.

Roberta also installed one in her -7A and was my inspiration.

Don't be afraid to use the search button. There has been a good bit of discussion regarding this topic on the forum.

The few extra $$$ spent on the TQ were well worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Throttle Quadrant

Here's a picture of how I'm doing it. All panel instruments are pictures at this point and subject to change. The throttle quadrant install seems pretty straight forward.

A couple of more images

A couple of more images with parking brake and cabin heat...

Here's a lphoto of a quadrant and console I'm installing in my 9A (fuse is the same as the 7s). Ignore the lousy color balance - the panel and console are anodized aluminum black. Note the high-tech paper instruments and switches - the avionics of the future....

p1040811vl5.jpg

cheers,
greg

I managed to "imbed" a two lever quadrant into my Classic Aero Designs side panel for a left hand throttle setup. I mounted mine at the forward edge of the vertical spar cap and it has proven to be a comfortable location for me.

If considering a left hand throttle. be sure to plan for all the other stuff you want to have on that side so you can leave your "good" hand on the stick for most operations.

Randy C

Here's a lphoto of a quadrant and console I'm installing in my 9A (fuse is the same as the 7s). Ignore the lousy color balance - the panel and console are anodized aluminum black. Note the high-tech paper instruments and switches - the avionics of the future....

p1040811vl5.jpg

cheers,
greg
I found in my 6A that you really need that space where you have the quadrant, to dive under the panel for what ever.......

I managed to "imbed" a two lever quadrant into my Classic Aero Designs side panel for a left hand throttle setup. I mounted mine at the forward edge of the vertical spar cap and it has proven to be a comfortable location for me.

If considering a left hand throttle. be sure to plan for all the other stuff you want to have on that side so you can leave your "good" hand on the stick for most operations.

Randy C

Randy, could you share a picture of your set-up? I'm interested in doing something similiar. Thanks,

Throttle Quadrant RV7A

Here is how I am mounting mine. Just about to put it in for good once I complete the wiring on the panel.

Fuselage%201237.jpg

Fuselage%201247.jpg

Great stuff fellas, thanks for your posts and the great photos. "Sparky" Paul, I assume the additional levers are carb and cabin heat? Very nicely done. The DJM quadrant looks to me to be a fairly staightforward mod to the plans with few gotchas or interferences to worry about. Anyone agree / disagree?

For those using a DJM quadrant, are any mods to the quadrant required to interface with the push/pull cables? Did you use the standard cables Vans supplies or did you have to modify their length? Finally, when you buy the cables, do they come with the handles/knobs (black, red, and blue), or are these separate parts? Do you just remove the knobs and chuck them in the bin?

Thanks!

When I installed the quadrant, I used the same specified length cable as would have been used if using the vernier cables. I did need to drill the cable attach point on the levers a little higher on the mixture and throttle to provide additional travel. I also needed to trim a little off the lever, below the cable attach point, to allow full cable/lever throw. Very simple. Once you get everything hooked up, it will be evident what needs a little tweaking.

Roberta

For those using a DJM quadrant, are any mods to the quadrant required to interface with the push/pull cables? Did you use the standard cables Vans supplies or did you have to modify their length? Finally, when you buy the cables, do they come with the handles/knobs (black, red, and blue), or are these separate parts? Do you just remove the knobs and chuck them in the bin?
Noah,

You don't use the standard cables. You need to order cables w/o the knobs an use a clevis pin on the end. Hit the panel page on my web site and scroll down. There are lots of pictures on there of the cable install and clevis pins required.

It turns out ans sells a 44-1/2" cable that worked great on my -9. The best part is if they are too long or short, you can return them because they are standard part and order a different, custom length.

Unlike Roberta, I did not have to modify the quadrant in any way. Some people do, other's don't. It all has to do with the carb or injector and the levers on those units, which control how much movement you have.

Back