What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone at 52F Who Can Help with a GRT SX setup/calibration?

Flying again!

Well Known Member
I bought an RV10 with a recently installed GRT Sport. The previous owner tried to calibrate the magnetometer but the only place he could "swing" the a/c was between metal T hangers so it did not work. The magnetometer is mounted in the same location as the Blue Mountain Sport that was installed previously.

I am working off my punch list (that is growing faster than I can work off..!) and decided to try to calibrate it when I flew to KBRD (Dallas Exec) to pick up some parts. I taxied to the engine run up area and tried twice to calibrate it using the procedures in the set-up manual (taxi to mag North using GPS, restart the GRT, go to mx menu etc.). Neither attempt worked, mag heading is off about 20 degrees. The engine temps were getting hot so I elected to fly back to 52F and seek some advise/help. With so many RVs at 52F I thought there might be some local help before I contact the Tech support at GRT.

I also have some questions on how the autopilot works.

Thanks for any help you can give.

TJ

Find a compass rose and do it right.. I don't think that using GPS to determine north is anywhere as accurate... You may be 5-6 degrees off easily.. (maybe even more). There must be a compass rose somewhere in the Dallas area?

52F has a compass rose but it is barely legible, and on the run up area for 17. Alliance (KAFW) and Meachem (KFTW) don't have a compass rose. Anywhere else??

It actually looks nicer than the satellite picture below - it was repainted about a year and a half ago.

Picture:
r2nqzr.jpg

Gainsville (KGLE) has a very good rose

The compass rose at Gainsville is south of the gas pump and in a wide open clear area. I went up there to calibrate my GRT HS but when I checked it, it was already dead on so I left well enough alone.

I'd be happy to help one afternoon, 52F is on my way home. Even though I never actually done the procedure from start to finish, I'm familiar with the procedure.

Back