What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody using a cabin pre-heater?

odens_14

Well Known Member
I got a new cellular switch hooked up that has a second available outlet and am considering putting a small space heater in the cabin.

The primary reason is that my conforfoam seats turn into bricks when cold and take about the first 15 min to soften to comfortable even with the seat heat on; it also would be good for the avionics I would think.

My concerns are if it would cause issues with the canopy to be warmed to say ~70 degrees F and then pushed out into the Minnesota winter air. If I'm flying for fun it's probably sunny and 20f+ but if I have somewhere to go I've gone in negative single digits.

My thought is to get a space heater with built in mechanical thermostat and set it to ~70 degrees on medium (750W) and turn it on maybe an hour before I mean to fly. Most of the ones I've looked at have tip over/overheat protection and I'd build some sort of shelf that held it level on the seats.

Anyway, looking to see if anyone else has done similar and what your experiences have been.

SEEKR by Caframo, Stor-Dry, Warm Air Circulator for Boats and RVs, Combats the Effects of Moisture in Small Spaces, Low Power Draw , 120V AC, 70 Watts, Corrosion-Proof Metal

I use this to keep things dry.

I use one routinely, also on the extra port of my Switcheon cell phone switch, and also because it's amazing how hard a ConforFoam seat is in a Minnesota winter. Since it will be heating hours at a time while unattended, I wanted something that is intrinsically safe, which ruled virtually all of the usual Home Depot-type space heaters, and therefor also ruled out cheap.

I went with a Hornet 45. I have a limited amount of amperage in my hangar but I can hack both the Reiff preheater and the 500w Hornet cockpit heater with no problem, apparently. The thing comes with a plethora of attestations and certifications as to how safe it is. I didn't want something that would make the cockpit toasty warm because of fear that a profound temp change might promote canopy-cracking...it's thermostatically-controlled. I only started it up about 6-8 hours before use last year, but I'm contemplating leaving it on 24/7 this year, while still leaving the Reiff preheater on 6-8 hour duty.

https://www.sportys.com/hornet-45-i...CZ YF3MRE0K_q0ohDaROe_3K6O6G93wRoCNN8QAvD_BwE

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/aircraftheaters_08-12224.php?clickkey=594309

Back