What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody use Baffle Seal Fasteners?

blueflyer

Well Known Member
Has anyone used these? They seem like they are flimsy and don't have enough threads on them. It seems like they would vibrate out. Anyone that's used them, are you happy with them?

I've seen them on lots of planes, but I've never used them on an RV. They do work and stay put, but if they contact the cowl they'll rub in. Usually used to allow baffle pieces to seperate for maintenance.

Could they be used to attach the baffle seal material to the aluminum baffles?

Last edited:
Short answer = yes... That's how my baffles are attached... five years and going strong! Note they are aluminum and relatively soft so you need to use tools that FIT.

Just an interesting bit of semantics.

Some years ago an engineer workmate went off and started his own SS fastener supply company (Totally Stainless). During a conversation, he told me that the name of the right hand fastener in the image above was a "sex bolt". I had never heard of such, but it is true. I had always called them "Y'know that bolt with the female threads...." :)

PM

I'm gonnna shoot you a PM. I have a few specific questions about your installation.

Short answer = yes... That's how my baffles are attached... five years and going strong! Note they are aluminum and relatively soft so you need to use tools that FIT.

I used them and have had no problems after 170 hours.
Below is a picture from my construction log.
You need an aluminum strip on the inside to "sandwich" the baffle material.
I thought I might need some low strength threadlocker, but have not used it. None of the fasteners have worked loose.
They are very light and can be used to make a very tidy installation. It is easy to adjust or replace baffle strips.

baffles39.jpg

Jim Talbot
RV7A
New Zealand

Last edited:
Back