What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody Replaced a Stock fuel valve with Andair valve in 7A?

Walt

Well Known Member
Considering installing the Andair Valve in place of the stock Van's valve at my upcoming annual. Van's sells the Andair 90 Degree 20X7T and I would like to use this but am NOT willing to remake the fuel lines to do it, curious if anyone has done this and is it was an "easy" swap.

Option

Hi Walt. I was curious why you are entertaining this. If it is for astetics I have another option available, or it will be soon. I am currently having a new lever design machined. This lever is designed to work with the stock valve and will look very nice. Similar to the Andair but with my own flair. Just another option. It will not have any type of locking device as does the Andair but it should look very good.

Just ran the tubing on my Andair last night

It's an Andair FS20X7-F with the 90 degree fittings. You also don't have to cross the lines which makes it easier.

I'm pretty sure you would have to make new lines to get the Andair to connect.
Sorry about that.

fuellineruns101lb5.jpg

I suppose I could rework it to fit...

Without the "crossover" of the tube I could probably cut and re-flair them a little shorter but not sure it would be worth the effort. Nothing really wrong with the stock valve yet but I noticed compared to a new one it is a little stiffer. Probably good for another couple of years, but, I'm a really anal guy when it comes to maintenance, when I find somthing is beginning to wear out I replace it. Nice pic of the installation I appreciate it! As far as the handle upgrade that might be nice but I'm ok with it as is. I put a couple of stops on mine so the handle can be selected from stop to stop without looking. One of the stops can be depressed to let the handle swing past to the off position if required.

fuel valve

I installed the Andair FS20X7-T valve on my RV-7A after I had already plumbed for the original valve. The main reason I like it is it's a no-brainer to change fuel, you can do it only by feel, day or night. It's comforting to know I won't accidentally turn it off. I did have to do some retrofitting, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat for the peace of mind and obvious practicality (not to mention the good looks!) of the Andair valve. I also had to do some reworking of the cover, but it too was no big deal. Go for it!

Andair

Hi Walt,

I too, would wonder why you would want to change. Other than the looks the Van's works great. I plan to have my stock lever anodized when I do the annual.

Also the Andair fittings all use screws to hold in place adding to the places where a leak could occur.

To answer your question, YES you will have to redo the lines. (I had an Andair in when I was going to use a Subaru and went back to the stock valve.)

Andair Valve

Walt,
I also installed the Andair valve as part of my fuel system. I do feel you would need to remake the last few inches of your fuel lines but there are some things to make this easier.

First, get your valve from Neil George at www.appaero.com. His Andair valves are made with different clocking on the inlets and have flanges on the body for nutplates. These features ease you routing and make installation MUCH easier.

You will want the FS20X7 valve from Neil. The only picture I found was under the RV-10 extension heading.

Tom Turnbull
RV-7A

I have the FS20X7 as well. I like it and works well... you want this particular valve because routing the lines is sooo much easier in the -7/-9. I like the 90 deg fittings in the post above. You can also use banjo fittings. I ended up using AN fittings because banjo fittings were hard to come by last summer.

img_6587.jpg

Back