What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody have any recommendations for a hand vacuum that actually sucks?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I'm in the middle of my condition inspection and I want to vacuum out all the nooks and crannies. I have a Shark handheld vacuum that I've had for a long time but it sucks because it doesn't suck! Can somebody recommend a vacuum that doesn't suck because it sucks well???

Thanks.

I cobbled together a simple attachment to my 5 gal shop vac.

Already had a reducer/cone shaped attachment that came with the vac (2.5" to 1") and simply electrical taped some flexible conduit to the end. Works great, really sucks and can get into virtually every tight spot there is.

I have owned half a dozen dust buster types over the years; all worthless. Bought a Makita BCL180 last year, and it works great. Lithium ion 18v. long lasting batt., recharges quickly. Best price I could find was on Amazon.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Get yourself the Tim Allen worthy handheld vac!

dyson_dc31.jpg

No...I don't have one. :(

Get yourself the Tim Allen worthy handheld vac!

dyson_dc31.jpg

No...I don't have one. :(

Yeah, well Brian.. My wife has one of those for the house.

It's OK because of the modularity but she got me a Walmartish dustbuster that has a retractable tiny nozzle on it. Works well. I think you still need a brush sometimes to get stuff loose before the vacuum will pick it up.

Yeah, well Brian.. My wife has one of those for the house.

It's OK because of the modularity but she got me a Walmartish dustbuster that has a retractable tiny nozzle on it. Works well. I think you still need a brush sometimes to get stuff loose before the vacuum will pick it up.

Bill, I hear you...I was mostly kidding!

By the way, your help in suggestions for sealing up in front of the tipup are working well in conjunction with my edge gripping bulb seal!

Its easy to get one. They are sold as a "Long arm". Once you get it home you can break it down and turn it into the "special" in the picture. :)

And BTW, Kelly. What are you doin' in annual already? A little early ain't it? Taking advantage of bad weather or do you have a trip planned in May?

I should be finished with mine this weekend. I have to do firewall forward yet. I just finished the cabin area (hated it, glad its done).

Yes, these planes create dirt. It's like they violate conservation of mass or something.

Its easy to get one. They are sold as a "Long arm". Once you get it home you can break it down and turn it into the "special" in the picture. :)

And BTW, Kelly. What are you doin' in annual already? A little early ain't it? Taking advantage of bad weather or do you have a trip planned in May?

I should be finished with mine this weekend. I have to do firewall forward yet. I just finished the cabin area (hated it, glad its done).

Yes, these planes create dirt. It's like they violate conservation of mass or something.

Hi Bill

I actually did my my initial inspection back in April. I'm getting a little bit of a head start on it. April is turning out to be a very busy month for me so I have to start crossing things off my list.

I'm in the middle of my condition inspection and I want to vacuum out all the nooks and crannies. I have a Shark handheld vacuum that I've had for a long time but it sucks because it doesn't suck! Can somebody recommend a vacuum that doesn't suck because it sucks well???

Thanks.

I bought a shark from brand art that failed in 2 uses. Stay away from them :(

I have the Oreck

"canister" vac ------ small enough to get around with, and with hose and attachments does pretty well ----- nice long cord and uses disposable bags.

Ok... I have to admit I like it

34pdvf6.jpg

Bought it for the wife then stole it for the workshop. It's got a slender attachment somewhere. Keep an eye on www.woot.com, they have them refurbed for decent price occasionally. Think I paid $120. And yes, I think the grip angle and trigger feel is much like my 45.

Hey, are both of these tips somewhere in VAF? Could you clue me in?

Installed this edge gripping 3/8 OD bulb seal to the sides of the canopy side rails per Dan Checkoway but I the size and number recommended by him does not work well. He recommended one (mcmaster #1120A712) with a 1/32 grip width with the gripper tit on the same side as the bulb. That did not fit very well so I trashed it and purchased one (mcmaster # 1120A111) with a 1/16 grip width and with the gripper tit on the opposite side of the bulb. This fits like a dream....

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=32322&highlight=edge+gripping+bulb+seal

Post #15

Found!

I'm just finishing up my inspection and I wanted to update this old thread. I finally found a new vacuum that works great at a reasonable price:

This was $20 at Walmart and works great for all my vacuuming needs in the plane.

Pros:

-It's cheap.
-The suction is fantastic.
-The attachments make it possible to get into small areas in the plane.
-The hose is long enough to push under the rear portion of the stationary seat pans.
-It has a relatively long cord.
-It's a wet vac too.
-It doesn't heat up like the Shark Vac it replaced.

Cons:

-Yea, it's kind of big but not too big.
-It's kind of loud.

The Shark went into the trash over the weekend.

So there you go.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=72155

I like it. It does suck pretty well and the business end is a soft plastic tube...flexible to bend into crannies and won't scratch or ding anything. Only complaint is that it's kinda LOUD. But it works.

I second this recommendation. I tried different electric vacs and none of them were very good. It is loud, but works quite well with your air compressor, and the soft plastic tube gets in to hard to reach spots.
Mine is five years old now and I just used it as I finished up my Condition Inspection last week.

Back