What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody flying an 0-540 J3C5D??? Need help with mine

dwilson

Well Known Member
I just purchased an O-540 J3C5D that came off of a Cessna 182RG. It has a "horizontal" induction system.

What that means is that the intake throat to the carb is at the back of the airplane.

Can I make this work? or do I need to sell the engine and get the "right one?"

I have a buddy that is building a -10 and he looked at the rear intake engine and determined that it would not fit.

Problems

Duane.......I agree with Dave.
I can't remember if the J3C5D is a parallel valve or angle. I do know the J2B on my Helio Courier is an angle valve engine and can weigh up to 60lbs heavier than a parallel engine. You do not want that in a -10 (CG trim sensitive). Also the rear intake will not work without some major mods and the J3C5D is only 235HP @ 2400RPM. Hope this helps.....Joe.

I just purchased an O-540 J3C5D that came off of a Cessna 182RG. It has a "horizontal" induction system.

What that means is that the intake throat to the carb is at the back of the airplane.

O-540 J3C5D

I have some years experience in maintaining a 182RG in our club fleet and trying to get it to run right is a real challenge. The air intake is at the side rear (low pressure area), then through the engine mount and into the carb from the rear. If you are looking for any Ram-Air effect, you aren't gonna get it from the stock layout that is for sure. Might I also posit that the low pressure intake area actually detracts from the already crappy performance of the engine at higher airspeeds.

The air filter location also makes preflight checking impractical, a real issue if you desire to use a Challenger (K&N) or similar type filter. On certificated installations there is a requirement to confirm the "pinkness" of the filter prior to flight and after operating in the rain. Nobody does this because you need to open the cowl to do it (sucks).

This layout is required in the RG because of the retractable nose wheel bay and tire swing required, but that is N/A for an RV-10 (unless you have a neat idea you are holding back)!!

Add in the 235hp rating someone else has already mentioned and this engine and rigging is a dog (with fleas).

YMMV...Ed

RV-8 EMP

Give me a call and i'll give you some simple steps to convert the engine. You will need to change the oil sump and intake system. No big deal...

How About an IO-540 C4B5

I know it is only 250 HP but I can get into one that has 1950 hours on it much cheaper and have a nearby guy who is highly spoken of rebuild it. Is there any problem with the intake direction, crankcase size or prop flange, etc.

Hank
at NASA

Back