What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any tips for in-progress kit transportation

Cameltron

Patron
I am moving to a new place in a few weeks, and currently I have a completed fuselage and completed empenage (in it's various pieces) to move. I was planning to make a cradle for the fuselage and empenage, strap them down to the cradle then strap the cradle to a uhaul or trailer.

Does anyone have any pictures, recommendations, gotchas, other things to consider? The transport is only 40 miles, but it's 40 miles of california highway/roads, which are not in the best condition.

I transported a partially completed RV-12 kit with the finish kit still in the crate and no powerplant in a U-Haul 20-foot truck which is a box on a van chassis. I made slings out of carpet from Home Depot that fastened to wood slats on the truck wall. See attached photo. Lots of foam rubber and bubble wrap. Went about 300 miles on good roads with no damage. I measured the truck options before deciding what would work for me. The enclosed truck made wind and rain a non-issue for a long drive. I don't think you could do it with a U-haul if the stabilator is attached. I now have an enclosed trailer that will carry the finished airplane. :)

Attachments

• 2016-01-27 14.31.53 (1280x720).jpg
    2016-01-27 14.31.53 (1280x720).jpg
    405 KB · Views: 1
Back