What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any suggestions for mid priced ANR headsets?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
With Christmas fast approaching, I'm putting together a list to send to Santa. Are there any suggestions and pireps for under $500 ANR headsets to use in my RV?

Thanks.

Pilots get a bug for the latest and greatest... all the time.
Troll the sites for a used Lightspeed or Bose.
Most owners take pretty good care of them, and used ones are a better bargain and work for years. ANR is a real hearing protection over time.
Remember, it is the low freqs. that damage your hearing (in the high range, ironically) over time.
Another tip... do homework on ENELOOP batteries. They don't self discharge much and run headsets quite well. Buy on ebay... about 2.25 per cell.

I'll second the idea of purchasing used. I just picked up two sets of reconditioned Bose X headsets from pilotshop.com for just under $500 each. They look new to me, and perform very well. I'm happy with the purchase.

Another vote for the Headsets Inc. upgrade kit. I'm very happy with mine. In my Alpha helmet, it's not noticeably different from the ANR performance of my Lightspeed (the additional passive performance provided by the helmet may contribute).

these don't get a lot of press.....

Flightcomm updated their J3 yellow sets with a new carbon fibre cup, and I find my original D50 to be very comfortable, with the gel ear cups, and the sound excellent....altho I've not done a side by side comparison.
at about $350, these are half the price they were when first introduced, and now have a 'big brother' the D90, with more features I think, if you need bluetooth etc.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/9924

mine came with my aircraft purchase, I've no connection to flightcomm, just a fan.

My other set is a Lightspeed QFR anr, no longer made, that i got used. New price was $325, and they aren't half the set the Flightcomm are, not as comfy, audio poor etc. by comparison.

Last edited:
I use Bose QC15's ($299 new) and a UflyMike. Works awesome, just keep a spare battery or two in the airplane, when it dies the headset no longer works. As a point I've replaced the battery twice in 30 hours.

I love the Clarity Aloft units myself. One for me and CP, no batteries to mess with can wear a hat and sunglasses and no clamping or sweating either. I do a lot of XC flying and and small size and light weight are the answer for me.

Although I did the upgrade for all four of my headsets, the original question was about headsets, not upgrade kits.

The link is to the complete headset that they sell, not the upgrade kit.

Either way, I dont think you would go wrong.

My Dave Clark's are probably 20 years old. The Headsets Inc ANR upgrade I installed is at least 15 and still works great! Got some replacement gel ear cups for it a decade ago. Quality things last.

Back