What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any RV-4's or -8's in Massachusetts or NH?

Saville

Well Known Member
I would like to look at some RV-4's and RV-8's before selecting one of the two to buy (possibly build). I was wondering if there are any -4's or -8's in Eastern Massachusetts or Southern, New Hampshire that I might look at.

thanks!

Last edited:
You may as well just as for an -8. Building a -4 wouldn't make a lot of sense to most people now. Same money to build and the -4 takes at least twice as long to build.

You may as well just as for an -8. Building a -4 wouldn't make a lot of sense to most people now. Same money to build and the -4 takes at least twice as long to build.

Modified my initial post. I might buy...I might build. If I decide to build, then yes a -8 is the only sensible choice.

But I may buy as well and I'd like to know if a -4 can carry myself and a light passenger comfortably on XC's.

Thanks

I'm a bigger guy than FAA norm. I'm 6'0" and 210. My -4 is the best solo cross country airplane I can think of. Fast, fun and efficient. I usually get around 22-25 MPG at 155 KTS.

My wife and I have travelled in the -4 but luggage room becomes an issue. The airplane flies fine with 2 people and full bags but it is pitch sensitive. The front of a -4 is very comfortable to me. The back is not. The -8 has a comfy back seat.

I'd love to build an -8 for retirement travel. 2 people and more bags with no problems.

The best bang for the buck is the -4 hands down. You can buy a good one for just under $50k. More fun than the law will allow.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with either.

There are a few RV-4's at Hampton, NH (7B3) and a couple RV-8's are transient there on a frequent basis. I don't know most of the owners personally.

There are a few RV-4's at Hampton, NH (7B3) and a couple RV-8's are transient there on a frequent basis. I don't know most of the owners personally.

Hampton....love that plce. Got my tailwheel endorsement there in j-3's

Not too far away.

Thanks!

Back