What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any risk carrying Lithium ion batteries in aircraft

CJT

I plan to haul my two Brompton electric bikes in my RV10
Each battery is 300wh capacity
Normally one is not allowed to carry it on airplane
can I take it on my RV10?
Any risk?

Maybe get a Harbor Freight 50 cal metal ammo can for containing them in flight?
And have it somewhere that I can toss it overboard (somewhat possible in my plane).
An ammo can isn’t going to contain a lithium fire for long.

You would be better off with a lipo sack similar to what the rc guys use.

Also, it’s likely that the e-bikes are using LiFeO4 chemistry which greatly reduces the risk of fire.

I was a li battery expert in my past life. I would not carry a Li battery in the passenger compartment of an RV. Remember the story of the first 787 Li battery: it burnt down the test lab in Texas. ( cell phone batteries are exempt from this rule. )

However, I have not been keeping with the latest Li battery technology and the newer chemistries may be safer than the older generation of Li batteries. YMMV

I was a li battery expert in my past life. I would not carry a Li battery in the passenger compartment of an RV. Remember the story of the first 787 Li battery: it burnt down the test lab in Texas. ( cell phone batteries are exempt from this rule. )

However, I have not been keeping with the latest Li battery technology and the newer chemistries may be safer than the older generation of Li batteries. YMMV
If you are familiar with the 787 issue, you would know that your statement is a bit misleading.

Properly cared for with newer chemistries, lithium batteries are quite safe…not risk free but then nothing is. Ever seen a lead acid battery explode?

I have.

Not knowing what a "lipo sack" was, I did a bit of searching. Hmmm. Didn't seem to "contain" in the YouTube video I looked at.
Time for DanH to try lighting off some Lithium batteries!

Important question though for CJT - are yours Lithium Ion, or Lithium Iron (aka LiFePO4)?
A significant safety difference between them.

Back