What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any reason not to get the Isham kit?

DCat22

Well Known Member
So...as I'm getting ready to buy tools soon, and I've been looking at the Isham / PlaneTools.com kit as the leader.

Online reviews for the major companies we all deal with all seem pretty good, Isham included...so I'm not too worried about that. Since I plan to get a DRDT-2 Dimpler, tungsten bar, and a Pneumatic Squeezer, the Isham RV Kit seems like about the perfect choice among the pre-packaged options (and a good deal).

I guess my real question, do ya'll see any negatives from this approach, either the actual tools or buying from Isham? (I know I'll be supplementing...already have a few things in mind from Brown...and Avery is in-state.) Other than cost of course...but among other things, I need to be able to work fairly quietly when possible.

Didn't really turn up anything worrying in searches, which seems like a great sign. :) Thanks!

Nope...I am an Isham tool kit owner and would buy it again. The only thing I can remember I had to add was a back riveting plate which isnt included...not a big deal to me...$50 at Spruce (or make your own). Best of luck! It was like Christmas when I recieved my tools! :)

Go with Isham

Probably the only ones to come up with any reason not to go with Isham would be Avery, Brown, or Cleveland. :D
I'm very happy with my Isham kit.

Edit: Agree with Ron on back riveting plate. I stopped at a machine shop and picked up a 6" x 18" 1/4" plate for $5.00 and polished it up myself.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Yeah, for the plate and dimpler I was planning to fashion something built into a workbench. I've probably got a while until I get everything together so lots of time to occupy myself "getting ready". :)

I got the Isham a few years ago and have no regrets. For the back-rivet plate go to the local salvage shop or surplus store and just find a nice thick piece of steel. I found a 1/2' thick piece for which I made a cutout in my benchtop (in the "sacrificial" top of 1/2" multistrand) and it worked great.

greg

I have been very pleased my my kit from Isham. The only things I added are the back rivet plate and some different yokes for the pneumatic squeezer.

Isham's is the way to go man... they are quick, complete, and stand behind their tools. Very friendly should you have any questions... I bought Ishams and Avery Tools was only 20 miles away!!! Would do it again in a heartbeat!

I got their kit towards the end of last year and am happy with it. I just ordered a thin / no-hole yoke for the tight spots. You might be able to get away with a bucking bar in those places but I prefer to squeeze when I can. :D

don't like their deburring tool. Avery is used WAY more often then the Isham one.:) other than that, no problemo!

Don't know anything about Isham, but Bob Avery and his crew has treated me great. Very fast service, and stood behind them. I would buy again from Avery

I have the Isham kit with the DRDT and pneumatic squeezer. I have had no problem with the tools and would do it again; great company. I have purshased a few items from Avery too and they are great as well.

Back