What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Info on the Continental Prime 370 Engine?

PhatRV

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone have real world experience with the Continental Prime 370 engine? It looks like a Lycoming clone. It is suppose to be certified for the training airplanes such as Cessna 172 and Piper 100 (same as PA28). Maybe one can find one from the aircraft salvage yard for a lot less money than even a prop-strike Lycoming 360.

I have the experimental version of this engine with 9.6cr and CW crank. Extremely happy with her, runs like a scalded dog!

Is this an IO-360 running 360 cylinders and a 100 thousandths extra stroke ground into the crank?

We put a Continental IO-370 in a Javron Cub. I really liked it. Very powerful and throaty sound when combined with a Vetterman exhaust. From the ground it sounded like a warbird approaching from altitude.
Meanwhile, I have a good friend who is installing one in a Cessna 170A with a Hartzell constant speed prop via the Stoots STC.
Listed at a 2400 hour TBO. It looks great and people flying converted Cessnas rave about it.

Back