What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Brake and Tire Replacement Guides or Gouge out there?

rvmills

Well Known Member
Prepping to change the brakes and tires on my RV-6 for the first time. Anyone know of a handy-dandy brake and tire replacement guide available out there? A how-to guide for a non-builder would hit the spot. Concerns are getting the placement and riveting of the pads right the first time, and any hints for success on tire mounting/balancing, etc. Purchased the pads from Aircraft Spruce, and the jack point (and spare pads, just to be sure) from Vans. Also, any recommendations on getting the right brake pad riveting tool? Thanks!

Bob
RV-6
N600SS
4SD

Look for a Mentor

Hi Bob,

If this is your first time changing aircraft tires and brakes, one idea that you might try is to find someone on your field or in your area that can show you how it is done the first time. A mechanic might be too busy, but another homebuilder would probably be happy to give you a hand. There's nothing at all hard about it, but there are enough steps and a few little "oh THAT's how you do it!" moments that doing it strictly from a book might not be a god idea.

AS to tools, the coolest thing I have discovered for brakes in the 30+ years I've been working on planes are the Avery squeezer dies for the rivets - they do a perfect job ever time. But since you didn't build, you might not have a rivet squeezer, so one of the little red hammer tools will probably work. Or....find a friend that already has one.

Most maintenance tasks are pretty easy once you've seen them done once, but can have little (yet expensive) pitfalls that are hard to document. Check the RV white pages for someone nearby!

Paul

Look for a Mentor

Thanks Paul! Great thoughts! There are more than a couple RVers out at Stead, so I'll do just as you suggest. Will also ask around about the Avery tool. One local RV guy just said to me, "don't buy a tool you can borrow, unless it's one that we don't have and we can then borrow it from you!" Will find out if I need to become the keeper of the local Avery rivet squeezer!

Liked the comment about "oh THAT's how you do it!" moments. Those usually are followed by writing a check if you're first-timing it on your own...so I appreciate the wisdom of your reply! Thanks again!

Bob

Some reading matter....

Paul is correct on finding a good mentor.... but be careful of poor mentors though.... these can usually be recognised by their high use of large hammers, JB Weld as a structural repair and screwdrivers used as pry bars...:)

Reading the literature is usually a good idea, something that a not a lot of mentors will have done...:rolleyes:

Here are some links to Cleveland's documents -

http://www.parker.com/ag/wbd/cleveland/pdf/Wbtech.PDF

This one is a table of contents, switch on the PDF index feature

http://www.parker.com/ag/wbd/cleveland/pdf/maincov.pdf

..and a good general purpose reference to have is the Sacramento SkyRanch Mechanics toolbox - about $25 and available from Vans.

The RTFM and then ask for a demo approach is usually very effective....:D

gil A

Thanks Gil! Downloaded both .pdf's and bookmarked the Toolbox site. Thanks much for the info!!

Bob

New Parker links

These links didn't work for me. Anybody got a current one?
TKS

Good 'ole Parker seems to have diddled their site in the name of corporate standardization... now everything is hard to get to...:rolleyes:

Maintenance Manual

http://www.parker.com/literature/Literature Files/ag/Aerospace Literature/maincov.pdf

Technicians Service Guide

http://www.parker.com/literature/Literature Files/ag/Aerospace Literature/WBtech.PDF

good luck ... gil A

PS IT guys seem to like "portals" ... I don't...:)

Brake Lining Rivet Tool

Bob,
I highly recommend the Brake Lining Rivet Tool from Avery Tools (SKU 4633). Its all you need to remove and replace rivets in your brake linings. Very easy to use and costs about $30.
Don't forget to grease your bearings while you got the wheels off.
Good Luck,

Chuck Olsen
RV-7A
TSP

Brake lining or kit part # ?

Anyone have the part # for a brake lining kit for the Cleveland 5:00 wheels?

Thanks

Neil

Tire Changing

From Dresser Tire site:
http://www.desser.com/dunlop.html

General Servicing Instructions
Aircraft Tyres and Tubes - DM1172
Rev. 27 - May 1st, 1999

--> CLICK HERE to DOWNLOAD <--
COMPLETE .PDF FILE (1.244 Mb)

CONTENTS INCLUDE:

Tyre Mounting & De-mounting of Tyre Assemblies
Maintenance Practices for Tyres Installed on Aircraft
Tyre/Tube Combinations
Explanation of Tyre Markings
Tyre Size Descriptions
Speed Ratings and Ply Ratings
Vent Holes, Balance Markers, Retread Tyre Markings
Tyre Construction Details and Explanations
Tyre Inflation and Deflation
Inflation Pressure checking
Tyre Inspection - Damage (with color photos, examples)
...and much more
provided courtesy of:
Dunlop Limited Aircraft Tyres Limited
40, Parkway,
Erdington
Birmingham B249HL
England

I just ordered some tires from Dresser and found this info to be a useful review of what to do.
Good Luck.

Back