What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

antenna

don rv6

I'm New Here
What is the model number of VOR/ILS/GS antenna people have used? Building an RV-6. I have seen antennas mounted on the lower fuselage just forward of the empennage. thanks Do

My guess would be either a RAMI AV-12L or a COMANT CI-157 or CI-158. COMANT makes a variety of models.

Many have used the Archer internal wingtip antenna with success. Several threads on the subject can be found via search.

What is the model number of VOR/ILS/GS antenna people have used? Building an RV-6. I have seen antennas mounted on the lower fuselage just forward of the empennage. thanks Do

That presents a major eye injury hazard - and it is just plain ugly.

Put it in the wingtip. I pick up VORs at 100nm+ with mine. I made it about of a few pieces of scrap aluminum.

Carl

Sorry Todd if I hit a button.

I offer however that the next time you go to a fly in with kids on the ramp you watch how they run around an airplane.

I have two comm antennas on the belly - each one gets a plastic cover after flight. More than once I hit the cover with my head while cleaning the belly - and the antennas are just at my dog's head level.

To each his own.

Carl

Perhaps what Todd meant is that on a taildragger, an antenna so mounted would sit too low to the ground to conceivably be an eye hazard. Totally different story on nosewheels.

Back