What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna woes

F1 Rocket

Well Known Member
Replaced the com antenna today. This is the second com antenna I’ve had to replace. This one like the first developed radial cracks along its length most likely from being whipped around by the prop wash. The first one had broken completely. This one I decided to replace before the cracks got too bad. It only took slight pressure to snap it off completely. I’ve installed a Delta Pop antenna that is constructed differently. The new antenna has a tapered aluminum element. I’m hoping this one does not crack.

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4959.jpeg
    IMG_4959.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4960.jpeg
    IMG_4960.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Replaced the com antenna today. This is the second com antenna I’ve had to replace. This one like the first developed radial cracks along its length most likely from being whipped around by the prop wash. The first one had broken completely. This one I decided to replace before the cracks got too bad. It only took slight pressure to snap it off completely. I’ve installed a Delta Pop antenna that is constructed differently. The new antenna has a tapered aluminum element. I’m hoping this one does not crack.
Over 400 hours on my 2 Delta Pop antennas. Good luck!

I think you’ll like the Delta Pops….we’ve put thousands of hours on them on various planes with nary a problem - except for one unfortunate “off-road-testing” incident on our motor glider that involved a short airplane and a tall sagebrush. Bent the antenna into a pretzel. Don said “straighten it back out!” So we did, and its been fine. No sign of cracking even with all that bending….

Back