What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna wiring spacing.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
As I am getting the new antennas installed in my 10, I now have to decide where to run the antenna coax leads.

Will I be looking for trouble if I run both the VOR, and COMM leads close together for 8 or 10 feet??

Close as in a couple inches or less. I can easily maintain a spacing of 4--5" if that will do the trick, but I do need to run them in the tunnel.

I am using good wire, RG 400, if that makes any difference.

My concern is RF getting into the VOR when I transmit on the COMM.

Considering all the magic little widgets are in the same box at the end of the two runs of coax, it would seem that there should not be an issue with this-----but then, Murphy has a rather weird sense of humor:eek:

My concern is RF getting into the VOR when I transmit on the COMM.

Think of a two nav-comm system.

This would happen through the two antennae (comm out - vor in) every time you transmit...:)

Any bleed through at the cable level would be negligible compared to the radiated signal.

Don't worry about it - certified planes do it all of the time, and your RG-400 is a good double shielded cable.

Thanks Gil, that is encouraging.

So, if the bleed through is negligible, can I run the two coax cables in the same conduit, or is that pushing it too much?

I concur with the other guys Mike - should be no problem having them run together - that's why it's RG-400!

Paul

Thanks to all of you for the reassurance, it will be SO much easier now that I know I do not have to remove the rear floor and run a new conduit for the VOR coax.

Note to anyone still working on a project,...... it is easy, cheap, and light weight to run extra wiring conduits while the plane is still in the build stage. You never know when they could come in handy.

No Issues

Hi Mike,

On my current 7 all 5 RG400's are grouped as one and ran forward. No problems at all.

Back