What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna placements 7a

Skint

Well Known Member
Where are the best places to place the GTX327 antenna and the SL40 antenna?
Are there limits on the lengths of the coax?

Hi Tim...

We mounted the transponder antenna between and just behind the exhausts, behind the firewall and the Comm antenna under the baggage area, in the tunnel. This gives a good 3' or more antenna separation and the belly is a great counterpoise for the comm antenna....we can talk and hear over 100 miles away with our SL-40.

Regards,

I mounted my antennas (SL40 and GTX-327) just inside the gear legs and forward of the spar. The BNC connectors are easily reached through the gear leg tubes and yet are protected from feet and shoes.
Be careful to position the antennas clear of upper gear leg fairings.

Any pics?

I mounted my antennas (SL40 and GTX-327) just inside the gear legs and forward of the spar. The BNC connectors are easily reached through the gear leg tubes and yet are protected from feet and shoes.
Be careful to position the antennas clear of upper gear leg fairings.
Do you have any pics of your install? I have had similar thoughts of installing my antenas inside the leg fairings.

I have installed mine (two of them) essentially the same place but a bit farther back (aft of spar and ailron tube) and as far apart as you can get them. Also, I added a doubler for the antenna as the bottom skin is rather thin and could crack.
Never had any issue with the Radio communication.

Mehrdad RV7A

Antennas

I would like to put com antennas forward of the rudder pedals and inboard of the fuel vent lines in my RV-7. Has anyone had any experience with this type installation.

I also plan to rinforce the com antennas with doublers, but would appreciate opinions with regard to the need for the doublers.

I added doubler to mine (for Radio), and they are mounted just under the seats (two of them). You will need the double as the skin at the bottom is very thin. I did not take very much for me to have a rip in that skin.

Mehrdad
RV-7A

Back