What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna Placement Autopilot Servo conflict

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I went to see Jim Younkin today and flew with him in the company's RV-9A (sorry I had to tell someone) to check out his TruTrak autopilot which is being offered for a special price during April. The demo flight went very well but when reviewing the installation drawings I saw that the Aileron servo gets mounted on the inside of the fuselage bottom under the seat structure between the two outer seat support ribs a few inches aft of the spar. Wouldn't you know that is exactly where I installed my bent whip com antennas (one left and one right). Good separation good ground plane etc. I will eventually break down and move the left antenna inboard one bay but if you are planning on this autopilot somewhere down the road you are forewarned to leave this space open.

Bob Axsom, RV-6A N710BJ

Anetnna / Servo Conflict

Hi Bob,
I am not sure which servo you are planning on using, but I was going to install my alieron servo in that general area, but after a long time of planning, then when really getting in to the installation, I found this area a bad place to install the servos... I, fortunately installed my antenna in the area, but just forward of the spar. I saw a number of installations where folks installed their servos under the seats and then clamped on the the push-pull tubes. I guess folks can make this work, but I have heard a number of folks claim that it can introduce an unwanted elevator input, in that the connection is usually sort of short-coupled.
I went through all sorts of "gyrations" trying to do my installation in that area, then finally relented and moved out to my left wing tip - as I had heard of others doing. This worked out really nice and easy to do!
If you choose to also do this, here are a couple pointers... use a pretty substantial push-pull tube to reach in to connect to the bell crank... by substantial I mean something like 3/4" alum tubing, w/ .060 wall thickness... I had a local engineer do all the calcs. for me and this is what came out with the proper safety factor built in... I "lathed" up some rod ends that look just like our elevator tube ends.
The other point is to keep in mind is that on the out-board end, play "what-if" in your mind, and look at the servo end of the rod and say to yourself... if the rod falls of the servo, will it jamb my controls??? I saw that a "guide plate" was in order, which I installed at the second rib in, so that if the rod somehow disconnects from the servo, it will always float in a position where it will not jamb against anything... the plate I made out of plexi-glass.
This is only what I did in the situation - and I am making no guarantee this will work well for your (or anyone elses) installation, good luck, and let me know what you figure out for yours.
Dale

Back