What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna location questions

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I am a little obsessive compulsive and really want my plane to be symmetrical (why I have two pitot tubes... not really, but almost) so I would really like to mount a bent whip on the belly and a regular antenna on the top centerline of the airplane... anyone have success doing this anywhere?

thanks,

Hi John...

...I bought my -10 with one bent whip on the belly for the SL-30 and the range/clarity is great.

I added a 430W and mounted a second bent whip on the opposite side of the belly, under the passenger seat and it's range is equal to the other.

The original builder had a cat's whisker for the SL-30 under the tail but I mounted a Bob Archer VOR/ILS, GS in the right wing for the 430's VOR/ILS and it's VOR reception range is as good as the cat's whisker.

I don't understand what you mean by a "regular antenna" for the top.

Best,

I have a bent whip on the bottom and regular on top. I started with two bent whips on the bottom, but on lower tower frequencies I had problems talking to the tower at two different airports. No problems since I moved the antenna.

Rene,

How far apart were your bent whip antennas?
I've seen many RVs with 2 antennas on the bottom.

About 3 feet. Only had the problem when I was transmitting on the ground on 118.3 a long way from the tower. Worked great in the air. I attributed it to airframe interference. A ham guy told me it might be my wiring....but happened with both the 430 and SL30.....different wire and different routing.

Home airport is 118.7, no problems there?

Moved the antenna and have not had a problem.

Back