What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ANR headset?

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Is it worth spending a $1,000 on a top ANR for the -12, or is a decent passive set or ANR conversion just as effective?

Last edited:
IMHO yes, spend the money. Get the best headsets money can buy. Your hearing is worth protecting at any cost.

See this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79193

Here's something you should consider! If you have a decent passive headset like a Dave Clark, replace the existing module in it with an ANR one from here: http://www.headsetsinc.com/ The cost will be less than $200 including a hard-wire power module rather than a battery box that is standard.

I did this to my Dave Clark about 15 years ago and have been totally happy with it. Testing it in flight with friends with Bose headsets - no appreciable difference! Upgrade your passive set with some nice gel earcups too. No need to drop $800-$1000+ dollars.

Is it worth spending a $1,000 on a top ANR for the -12, or is a decent passive set or ANR conversion just as effective?
Rob,

We use light speed Zulu headsets in the 912 powered skyfox and have found them to be the pick of the various combinations I have tried to date. Have used lower end altronics & telex passive sets, as well as an early retrofit version of an anr conversion in the altronics headset. This was ok, but not nearly as good as the light speed Zulu.
In my opinion in the skyfox at least, you are correct about the Zulu passive noise level reduction, without the anr activated maybe not as good as some other headsets. I haven't tried the bose headsets so can't comment. Over all I am very happy with the overall fit, comfort and operation of the zulu. Take note of the low battery indicator and keep the batteries up to it which I don't believe to be excessive & there are no problems. Sounds like You need to make a trip north and come for a ride & check for yourself!

See this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79193

Here's something you should consider! If you have a decent passive headset like a Dave Clark, replace the existing module in it with an ANR one from here: http://www.headsetsinc.com/ The cost will be less than $200 including a hard-wire power module rather than a battery box that is standard.

I did this to my Dave Clark about 15 years ago and have been totally happy with it. Testing it in flight with friends with Bose headsets - no appreciable difference! Upgrade your passive set with some nice gel earcups too. No need to drop $800-$1000+ dollars.

Thanks Bill. I actually ordered one of these kits a week ago for my current passive set. Not DC, but OK and has gell earcups. Will be interested to see how well it works. Otherwise, will look at going upmarket. As others have said, it's hard to put a price on keeping your hearing.

Rob,

We use light speed Zulu headsets in the 912 powered skyfox and have found them to be the pick of the various combinations I have tried to date. Have used lower end altronics & telex passive sets, as well as an early retrofit version of an anr conversion in the altronics headset. This was ok, but not nearly as good as the light speed Zulu.
In my opinion in the skyfox at least, you are correct about the Zulu passive noise level reduction, without the anr activated maybe not as good as some other headsets. I haven't tried the bose headsets so can't comment. Over all I am very happy with the overall fit, comfort and operation of the zulu. Take note of the low battery indicator and keep the batteries up to it which I don't believe to be excessive & there are no problems. Sounds like You need to make a trip north and come for a ride & check for yourself!

Thanks Andrew. The Zulu's or Bose A20's are what I'd be considering for a top ANR. Happy to come up to visit, but I need to finish the transport first :)

alternative ANR headsets

I think you made the best value choice with headsetsinc - I would have used them, but I didn't have a good passive headset to start with.

Another option is a Bose non-aviation ANR headset (Quiet Comfort 2 or QC15) and a headset attachment from http://uflymike.com/ I bought this combination and great noise reduction flying GA aircraft; ANR with standard audio inputs available when I fly commercially (more often than I like!); and it cost much less than $1000. YMMV.

Looking at Lightspeed's website, they offer a trade-in for competitor's headsets.http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/content/lightspeedaviation/CustomPages/tradeupprogram.htm
I figured that Lightspeed is offering the $400 for the best of the competition. So I bought one of those, the Telex Stratus 50 and really like it. I cut the large cigarette-lighter style plug off and and replaced it with a small DC power plug. I installed a 12VDC socket next to the headset jacks. Now I do not have to use batteries and the headset power supply wires do not clutter the cockpit.
Joe Gores
IMG_0630b.JPG

Carity aloft's in RV-12

One comment on the clarity aloft's in my RV-12... for some reason I could not get them working correctly, the volume was very very low. Support at clarity tried to help me, they even sent me a brand new set when they could not find any problems in mine. I even, replaced my intercom thinking it must has gone bad but that didn't help. We tested them in C-172 and it worked as expected.

Find some one with a set and test them in your -12 if you can.

-Ron

Rob
I have both Zulus and DC Passive converted with anr conversion kit.
I like both equally, and the DC conversion probably still has better passive attenuation than the Zulu.
The anr conversion is remarkably effective, and cost effective.
Regards
John
Melbourne
Australia

I have my original David Clarks 13.4 (passive). When I was flying "some really load" planes, I use to put foam ear plugs in under the DC's. A little extra volume and they worked great. I also own a set of Pilot USA Independence ANR's they work well and I bought hem because they are rechargeable and totally self-contained (the rechargeable cells are inside the ear muffs. But they didn't work well in an open cockpit (wind noise) which I fly from time to time.

I'm keeping the DC's and will Eventually get around to selling the Pilot-USA for short money.

ANR Headsets

I just installed the Headsets Inc. ANR conversion kit in my old Dave Clark 13.4 mono after reading about them on this site. I converted to stereo and added the volume for the right ear. Also had them include new ear foam as my are old. Used them for the first time Saturday and what a difference. Well worth the money. The support from Richard at Headsets was great. This is not for everyone as those with lots of money may not want to solder some wires together. Ron Russ:)

I used the Headsts Inc. modules in 2 sets of old Peltor headsets which they have a kit for. The Peltor uses a small circuit board inside one of the earcups which has to be re-soldered in a number of spots. The first set took about 3 hours. The second set took 45 minutes. This is an excellent product. I was told that these units are used in a number of different ANR headsets and helmets which are available on the market. If you like your current passive headsets, don't hesitate to use these.

Seems like the conversion kits are not a bad alternative to the expensive ANR's, so I'll be dusting off the old soldering iron soon. The local Headsets Inc distributor rang me last week to make sure I'd ordered all the right bits and pieces - excellent service! Looking forward to see how the converted set works out. Even if I end up with the $1,000 option, the conversion should make a good passenger set. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

ANR Headsets

I installed the Headsets, Inc ANR kits in a pair of David Clark passive headsets and was very happy with the performance. The David Clarks were about $300 (this has been a while back) and I think the ANR kits were around $150/ea., so for less than $500/ea, I had comfortable headsets that performed pretty close to the same as a friend's Bose headsets.

I also wired my RV-8 with the 12v dc plug included with the ANR kits. I really liked not having to screw around with batteries.

Walt

I went with Telex Stratus 50D's in my CT using ships power about two years ago. They have good passive attenuation in case the active fails, for me they are comfortable, and, like Walt, I like not having to mess with batteries.

Back