What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another way to fit your cowl hinge pins...

Jon Clements

Well Known Member
I have seen heaps of RV's on the forums (and in the flesh) with the horizontal hinge pins fitted as per vans instructions (or similar). The pin sticks out the front of the cowl with a screw fixing or a cover plate of some description and in my opinion it's something that can be improved without too much trouble.

The standard fitment seems to meet the keep it simple rule but when it comes to design/drag and aesthetic considerations it falls well short of the mark.

I bashed my head over this one for a long time and then the following solution came to mind when i had my top cowl installed with the Skybolt camlocks loose....

If you are opposed to Camlocks you can disregard this solution. If you are sitting on the fence in relation to whether or not you will install camlocks, this might convince you.

I originally ordered a full Camlock kit (primarily to make cowl removal/engine access as easy as possible) but after much consideration I decided that Camlocks to the full firewall with hinge to the horizontal joints would look better from an aesthetic point of view.

To cut a long story short (it involves many hours staring at the cowl) I eventually realised that when the camlocks are loose on the side of the cowls (top and bottom) you can quite easily pull the cowl outwards from the fuse and gain access to the horizontal hinge from the rear of the cowl.

I had previously considered running a hinge back into the cockpit through the firewall or alternatively through the firewall and then up and out through the NACA vent but neither option appealed, and both had obvious cons.

What I came up with follows in the photos below:

I filed out a small recess from the bottom cowl to the horizontal joint (approx 2 inches) and then down the vertical joint (approx 3/4 inch. I then put a small joggle in the hinge pin (to clear the 1 3/4 inch aluminum tab that the camlocks are fitted to) and added a 90 degree downturn to the end.

The down turn allows you a firm grip to the pin when feeding it into the hinge from the rear (you insert the pin with the downturn pointing out perpendicular from the fuselage) and then when the pin locates fully you rotate it down 90 degrees at which point the joggle locates itself over the camlock tab behind. The pin sits neatly in the recess and the camlocks are then twisted into the lock position which flushly locates the pin in the space between the fuselage skin and the cowl.

To remove you simply unlock the side camlocks, pull the cowl outwards fractionally, rotate the pin up 90 degrees and then remove....simple.

I am really happy with how it works functionally - it is neat, simple and low drag.........and the cowl nose looks the way it should!!!

Oh yeah.....the downside - it costs approximately $200USD more because you need camlocks.....

dsc0018ug.jpg

dsc0017as.jpg

dsc0021im.jpg

I am hoping this thread will result in other builders posting feedback and images of a range of alternative ways of fitting the cowl hinge pins.......there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Last edited:
Let's call this pin method #36 and put it in the "good" column. Have you flown it? Do they stay put?

I like the looks of it and it certainly looks unique. I am also eager to know how well they will stay put!!!

When I first put my cowl together, it was such tight fit for the hinge wire to go in. I had to put it on the drill and drive it in that way. Now, I can just push it in, though still some resistance but no drill is required. And to cover my hinge wire, I built a fairing with fiberglass to cover it. I should take a pic and posted some day.

It lock's into place...

Let's call this pin method #36 and put it in the "good" column. Have you flown it? Do they stay put?

I haven't flown it yet but I'm convinced it won't move....I'll certainly keep an eye on it over the first few flights.

The joggle in the pin locks the pin against the tab for the camlocks and the 90 degree downturn sits in firm against the skin line. When the camlocks are fastened it locks in place.

The hinge pin also has a minor bend in the middle of it which improves the frictional resistance, but it is still reasonably easy to insert and remove.

You will note from the photos that the joggle is slightly over-center.....this effectively forces the 90 degree downturn hard against the rebate between the skin and the cowl locking the pin into position......hope I am making sense?!

My theory was that if it ever showed signs of working its way out of position i could install a small cover plate (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch) over the downturn which could be fixed with a screw drilled through the corner of the cowl and tapped into the camlock tab behind.....doubt it will be necessary though....

Will report back following flight (not too far away now)....

Last edited:
Nicely done Jon! ...and about as clean as can be!

I wish I would have seen this a month or two ago. I wanted a cleaner looking cowl pin install and ended up going through the firewall. My method is clean but will be a total pain in the arse to take off. :rolleyes:

Very well done Jon!

- Peter

I also was not satisfied with the methods used and wanted a cleaner look.

daverv9a.jpg

I made mine so that the hinge pin is pulled from the inside of the cabin. This was done by first installing the hinges and drilling a hole in the front of the cowl where the end of the pin hits the front of the cowl just outboard of the cooling inlets. I then inserted the pin from the front after the cowl was fitted properly, pushed it all the way to the firewall, and marked the location it hit the firewall. This point is slightly inboard of the fw flange -- I then drilled a hole through this point, installed a steel fastener (domed screw with a hole drilled down thru the screw head and out the end of the threaded shaft) with a nut on the inside of the firewall holding the fastener sealed to the fw. I then threaded a piece of tubing onto the threads of the screw on the inside of the cabin and ran it to the first vertical upright support (the one forward of the spar and aft of the fw). The tube was adele clamped to this upright. A friend then machined me a small knob that attaches to the end of the cowl hinge pin---but a 90 degree bend works just as well. I tent staked the end of the hinge pin and the pin, when inserted thru the tubing engages the first eyelets of the hinge very nicely. No access showing on the outside and only a small knob, barely visible on the inside, slightly below the sub panel on each side of the cabin.

Sounds more complicated than it is---300 hrs on the plane and it has never attempted to come out in flight and I really like the clean look.

If anyone is interested I will try to find a pic of the interior segment.

Hope this is of value.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
If anyone is interested I will try to find a pic of the interior segment.

Hope this is of value.

Cheers,

db

Yes...it is of value, and please post a pic! :D I'm doing the same thing...Peter as well. I think there are some pics on Mike Bullock's site as well of this method, but more pics are always of value! :cool:

Hi Chad,

I looked for an "under the panel" shot but could not find one. If I am out at the airport in the next couple of days I will take one for you. The following shot gives you an idea of the location of the hinge knob.

interior001l.jpg

Note the knob just above and forward of the headset jack--same location on both sides. Keep the tubing as straight as possible from the adele clamp forward to the firewall pass thru, be sure to "stake" the end of the hinge pin, and you should have no problem with removal or reinsertion. The only time I had any problem was the first cowl install after painting as the painter had gotten paint into the hinge eyelets. I can remove or reinstall this pin while outside the cabin, standing in front of the wing and reaching over the sidewall of the aircraft. We installed the same system in my brother's 7a and it is also working as intended!

I see you are building a tipper. We did a couple of other mods on the latching system on the 9a tipper that you might be interested in--they are in the archives at the following location:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20038&highlight=safety+latch+mod

I will post an under the panel shot next chance I get to take a pic.

Cheers,

db

I was just today working on an under-panel pin removal setup, but I like this new idea and want to experiment with it. How though, do you keep it from rubbing off the paint on the vertical seam (the edge of the fuselage)? It looks like a great idea....

Hi Kathleen -

I can't comment on whether it is likely to wear through the paint as I haven't flown it yet. I think it is unlikely because the locating point (that will probably suffer the most wear) is the joggle over the edge of the tab supporting the camlocks (behind the cowl). My finish is very snug however the 90 degree downturn in the pin could be slightly shorter to keep it clear of the skin edge.

Your comment however suggests to me that it might be a good idea to install clear protective tape on the tab behind the pin....thx.

Will report on wear when its flying....

Regards,

Jon

Yet another way:

I am hoping this thread will result in other builders posting feedback and images of a range of alternative ways of fitting the cowl hinge pins.......there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Here ya go Jon...

This scheme pulls the pins from the front, but leaves an almost totally unfettered look at the cowl leading edge.

Three components to the system: First, the cowl pins have 3/8 long 8-32 set screws brazed onto the forward end of each cowl pin. To do this, the set screws must first be drilled out on a lathe to fit tightly over about 1/8" of the pin end. Then they're brazed on. Very good mechanical security.

Second, a nutplate is potted into the lower cowling that serves as a thread guide / anchor device for each pin. The nutplate is axially aligned with the hinge pin axis. For added strength, I also tack welded a small .016 steel plate to the end of the nutplate to give it more bonding contact area.

Finally, a small tool is fabbed up to insert and extract the pins. One end of the tool has an allen driver fastened in to it, the other end of the tool is drilled and tapped 8-32 so it can thread over the set screws on the pin ends.

Now that I have y'all thoroughly confused, lets have a look:

8-32 Set Screw on forward end of pin
Cowlpin%20System%20001.jpg

Insertion / Extraction tool: the long end on the left is
threaded internally; the other end has the allen shaft
Cowlpin%20System%20002.jpg

Nutplate potted into lower cowl
Cowlpin%20System%20008.jpg

Inserting the pin: set screw engages nutplate
Turn in until set screw disappears & is fully seated
Cowlpin%20System%20004.jpg

Pin removal: tool is first used to back the set screw out.
Then flip tool and thread over the set screw
Cowlpin%20System%20005.jpg

... and just pull the pin out - paint never touched!
Cowlpin%20System%20006.jpg

I came up with this system initially on my RV4 and it was perfect for almost 400 hours, until I sold the plane.

Last edited:
I have the same set up on my 7A

copied from Roger Hansen of the Dragon sided RV6 fame. Works great so far (~100 HOURS) and is very easy to use. I added 1.5" to the bottom of my panel to feed my IFR needs, so a hinge pin behind the panel seemed too hard to access for me. I used a piece of SS heavy wall tubing as the threaded socket glassed into the FWD edge of the cowl. To make it a little stronger, I silver soldered a tab to the tubing, and added a couple rivets through the lower cowl and SS tab for security...

Be sure you drill a socket in the set screw and use at least high temp silver solder to attach the hinge pin. If that sucker ever breaks, you will be drilling out cowl hinge rivets to get your cowl off. On second thought, the originator of this thread has a solution that might work to get my hinge pin out if it ever does break off the set screw.

Back