What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another stupid little mistake (and question)

High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,
I've made another stupid little mistake and I'd like your opinion on this.
I'm making the holes in the wing ribs for the conduit to route electrical cables to the nav/landing lights.
Didn't pay enough attention when drilling the 1st one and drilled 6 ribs in the same way
Here's how I've drilled it:
WingRibsConduitmistake1.jpg

According to Van's instructions the hole should be just after the forward lightening hole, about 2.5 inch further forward of where I've drilled it.
Do you think this is a concern? If yes I'll have to re-order 6 ribs...

Thanks for the advices,
Alain.

Ok, thanks for these very quick replies.
I'll continue, keeping these 6 ribs as they are and drilling all the others the way Vans recomends. There will be a slight "bend" in the conduit between ribs 6 and 7 making it a little bit harder to pull the electrical cables through but that's OK I think.
I'd be happy to hear from anyone else on this...
Alain.

Maybe you didn't understand the other posters. You can re-drill these ribs in the desired position as well. The additional hole is not a problem.

I agree with Mel... Get the holes all lined up, and save yourself a minor aggravation later as you try to run wiring. The extra hole should not be a problem at all.

Another possible solution

I found the entire wiring hole thing to be a pain. I had QB wings and believe the factory pre-drilled holes were slightly larger than they should have been. Subsequently, the snap bushings were constantly loose. I have a wingtip antenna in the R wing, and AOA tubing in the L wing. I used the pre-drilled holes (with the snap bushings secured by a little RTV) for those items. However, for the landing light, strobe and navigation wiring, I bought a stick of thin walled aluminum conduit for each wing. It sets in the large holes (watch out that it does not interfere with the control push rods)..and secured it in 3 places with cushioned clamps and a small piece of aluminum angle fabricated as a bracket. A snap bushing can be secured in each end of the conduit for edge protection. I believe the small weight penalty was worth it, as 90% of the electrical wiring is encased and not subject to wear from a failed snap bushing. Helps me sleep a little better...and it was a breeze to pull the wires with a fish tape. YMMV.

Thanks for the inputs

Thank you for all the inputs.
I've finished drilling the ribs for the conduit as per your posts for both wings.
I received the SafeAir pitot static kit for dynon skyview a few days ago, and I've also enlarged the fwd upper and lower tooling holes to route 2 lines for the dynon pitot/aoa air lines. As Brian wrote in the last post the middle tooling hole is a bit too large for the bushings provided in the SafeAir kit, and looking at the plans it seems that using the middle hole would be more of a problem for interference with the aileron pushrod anyway.
Good day to all.
Alain.

Last edited:
Back