What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another reason to have new eyes look during Condition Inspection

Flying again!

Well Known Member
Just finished the condition inspection on my RV-10 and saw again the value of having different eyes looking at the plane.

I bought the -10 Aug 2011 and this is the 3rd condition inspection. This year I decided to have another A&P look at it after having another A&P do the first 2.

When David was looking at the tail he found that there were 9 rivets missing from both the top and bottom of flanges HS-1002 and HS-1013! these were match drilled and dimpled but the original builder neglected step 2 on page 8-6 of the plans which tells you to install 9 rivets on the top and 9 on the bottom! This is easy to see once the fairing at the base of the rudder is removed. Tail came off, rivets installed and put back together.

This was in plain sight and was missed during the original airworthiness inspection in 2005, the subsequent annual condition inspections, the week long very thorough airworthiness inspection in Canada when it was sold there, and by the DAR here when I re-imported it in 2011 and had to have another airworthiness inspection. At least 16 inspections and it was not caught until now! I can't believe I missed it too!

Just wanted to show how things can be missed and a new set of eyes can be very beneficial.

TJ

Good mechanic

TJ,
If you're talking about David at MarcAir, he is a real pro, does outstanding work. Between David and Randy Richmond, we're really set up well here at 52F for sharp-eyed inspectors, aren't we? :cool:

WOW:eek:

Glad you got that taken care of.

How many hours on the airplane ??

Hi Mike,

440 hours on the plane. I am the third owner. The plane was painted before I bought it and that area had a real nice coat over the holes and dimples. There were no cracks in the paint anywhere so very little if any movement I would think. Glad it was found and glad it is correct now:) (before anyone comments, yes, the paint was removed before the rivets were set:D)

It was David Speyers who takes care of MarcAir's planes who found it. He was very, very thorough and went through the engine area cleaning things up. Very reasonable rates too! He also did my BFR in my -10.

The good thing is the airplane is getting better and better with each condition inspection as I add things and faults are found and fixed.

Lot of good help and good people at 52F.

Back