What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another QB Question

Bart

Well Known Member
This question is for anyone building with a QB fuselage?Can I skip ahead and put the aircraft on its landing gear after attaching the empennage without interfering with anything on the firewall or other efforts that need to get done. I ask because moving the aircraft would benefit my work space situation in a common hangar.

I wouldnt.

A few folks here made the two by four supports that you often see and put casters on them to move the fues. Putting the gear on will make it a huge PITA to work on. You have hundreds of climb in/out, drill etc jobs - up on gear would not have made my life better. YMMV.

If you put it on the gear early, the only challenge is that then you've got to get on a step stool or get inside it to do just about everything else. I put mine on the gear before I put the cabin top on. It worked out okay, but it made fitting the cabin top, doors, windows, etc just that much more work because everything was much higher up in the air.

So short answer, putting it on the gear early makes it more difficult, but shouldn't cause any real issues. I haven't riveted my cowl hinges on yet though, and it does look like getting to some of the rivets will be very tough without taking the engine mount back off.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

I second that. You don't realize how many times you have to get in and out of that thing. Keep it off the gear as long as you can. Also, if you are contemplating the installation of a overhead console, do it before putting the cap on...

Back