What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another one takes to the air or freedom for N829LB

NDrv8r

Well Known Member
Advertiser

My DAR was in the vicinity and inspected N829LB on Thursday Night Jun 30 2011. The inspection went off without a hitch.

My thanks to DAR Trent Teets of Cassleton, ND. He worked me into his very busy schedule of fixing broke spray planes.

I flew it for the first time this morning July 2nd. It was a beautiful morning in Bismarck. calm winds and cool. I had freshly honed cylinders so I had to run the engine hard. I climbed out and orbited the airport at 5000 feet. The only squawks were a slightly heavy right wing and oil temp running a bit high at around 235 degrees.

Landing was nice owing to the transition training with Jan Bussell of Okechobe FL.

It's a sweet flying airplane

Congratulations!

Slow build, that's right!
It was all worth it wasn't it?

It gets even better;)

Mark

Congrats

Way to go ! How long was the first flight? How many years did you spend building?

RV7A build

thanks for all the kind comments guys.
I started in Nov 2009 with the emp. It took 2 weeks to finish that and then I could not get any more kits till march of 2010. In the mean time, I split the Ebay IO360-A1B6 and found a cracked crank. I think I would go with a new engine next time around although I still have only about $17k in the engine. One issue I am having is high oil temp. at high power settings it creeps up there around 235. I have newly honed cylinders, so it needs to be run hard to seat the rings. I understand the temps may go down after break in, but the chts are real nice around 300. I'm thinking I need to check out the veratherm and then consider my oil cooler install is not optimal.
I'll post pics and more data as that progresses.

I worked on some of the baffling since I could not get any other kits. Big mistake! Do NOT work on any of the front ramps till the cowl is in place! the baffling was and still is a major pita.

I finished it Jun 30 2011. Frankly I lost track of man hours, but I am guessing around 1750.

Initially I considered the quick build, but the lead time was way out there. I did all of the riviting myself other than what I could not reach. Wound up with a couple of rivet gun dings doing so, but I could only devote a bit of time here and there and arranging for help during those times would have stretched out the build a lot longer.

The Skyview is just outstanding!
I just set up the AOA this morning.

Back